Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've seen some very impressive mods on some of the cars on this forum like AZN's c300 and I'm planning on modding my car as well.

The only real mods that I've done are the window tints and the smoked sidemarkers (thanks for the instructions AZN). I want to just add some relatively cheap mods as I don't really have much money to be all crazy about it.

I already bought an Magnflow Tru x pipe and plan to install it in my car. The thing is that I went to a mechanic and he told me he has to charge me 200 to install it as it requires a lot of work, a lot of cutting and welding. Now, I've done quite a bit of researching here and there and people had it installed for under 100. Am I getting ripped? I didn't install it yet and I just want some inputs.

Another mod I'm planning on doing is the tinted or smoked taillights. I'm only planning on smoking the red parts. How does the whole process go? Do you have to take out the lights and do them individually and what's the price?

The last things that I'm trying to do is to change the high beam lights, the eyelids, and possibly the foglights. I really hate the yellow appearance of my high beams and foglights since my low beams are bright white. Now, is it difficult to replace the high beam lights and what bulbs must I get? Instructions would be nice as always as I'm pretty bad with cars :(.
And lastly, with the foglights, some information about the exact kind of bulbs like brands and such would be nice.

THANKS a bunch!

·
Registered
2009 C300 Sport 4matic
116 Posts
replacing the head lights is easy, just a pain on your fingers, especially the driver's side. pop the hood, turn the head light housing cover a half turn and pull out. unplug the power to the bulb, and unlatch the clip that secures the bulb. pull the bulb out, but remember to never touch the bulb with your hands/fingers, it will ruin them.... As for bulb size, they are H7s for the headlights and fogs. I recommend Hoen Xenonmatch bulbs for fogs, I haven't installed them on mine, but frome what Ive seen, they look good. They're pretty close to white/blue color.

The C300/C350 already comes with an excellent exhaust set up, true dual exhaust, perfect sound/pitch, etc. I wouldn't really mess with it unless its a must have for you.

·
Registered
09 ML350, 08 C300 sport 4Matic, 05 C230K, 98 ML320
53 Posts
2each is own.....this is MY OPINION on making changes 2 a BENZ.....A nice tint 20%-35%..Nice Rims 18x 8.5 & 18x 9.5 Chrome 5 Zenneti on my red C230 Kompressor and 19x 8.5 & 19x 9.5 Black high gloss, diamond cut lip MRR on my black C300 and change the lights to good quality bulbs (xenon)...after that ur ruining perfection...in otherwords some people do 2much and FkUp the asthetic beauty of the MB beast!!!!!..Its Not a HONDA, TOYOTA.or NISSAN (No DIS..I luv all Cars) Its Not A TUNER!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2008 C300 Sport 6-speed
96 Posts
I highly recommend you install the KN filters for the C350. I have a 6-spd C300 and I really felt the difference. I also dynoed the car and with the KN filter I put down 207 WHP and 196.1 WTQ. Thats really good for 228 at the crank with the C300. I can't imagine what it will gain with the C350. Also its only $100 and you never need to buy air filters again. The MAF sensor myth might be true only when you don't follow KN instructions on cleaning and re-oiling. The C class exhaust is tuned from the factory... I do like the way the X-pipe sounds but not sure if its worth ruining your exhaust system for it. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input guys! i really appreciate it. i've received similar opinions about the exhaust and the x-pipe. I really do like the sound of the car with the x-pipe though from what I saw in FrankW's videos of his car. And about the KN filters, is it hard to install? I'm asking because I'm not really all that knowledgeable in cars. Again, I really appreciate the input!

·
Registered
2008 C300 Sport 6-speed
96 Posts
The KN filters are not hard at all to install. You can find plenty of threads if you google "air filter replacement W204 C class".

·
Registered
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
1,021 Posts
And about the KN filters, is it hard to install? I'm asking because I'm not really all that knowledgeable in cars. Again, I really appreciate the input!
Remove the engine cover (front part of the cover). It's just pressure pins so just give it a good tug. Remove the air intake hose from the airbox as well as the smaller tube on the left side. Lift up the airbox (held by pressure clamps). Flip the airbox around and you can see on the left and right side where the air filters are located. Open it up and replace. Simple.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey guys,
I already bought an Magnflow Tru x pipe and plan to install it in my car. The thing is that I went to a mechanic and he told me he has to charge me 200 to install it as it requires a lot of work, a lot of cutting and welding. Now, I've done quite a bit of researching here and there and people had it installed for under 100. Am I getting ripped? I didn't install it yet and I just want some inputs.
I just installed x pipe in my car too, but I didnt know much about these kinda things at first either. So I end up doing some extensive research on the internet, then I called a few of them.. some of them had no idea what i was talking about, but a few obviously knew what they're doing, so I asked their price and just drove there. it took precisely 40min and costed me $90 pure labor. might not be the best price but acceptable i guess.
May I know where you are?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really appreciate the imput guys! to Gwgwerertyty i live in NY and I only asked one place so far, where the guy asked for 200 because he said the whole process is a lot of work. Of course, I didn't do it. I'm still looking around for a place to add the x pipe and will probably do it a little later. And gw, did you get the magnaflow tru x pipe or another brand?

THanks for the instructions for the KN filters AZN and the headlights bunk. I probably won't do them immediately because i'm kind of broke now. But no one really answered my question about the tinted taillights, as I really want to do them most. How is the whole process done and what would be a good price?

THANKS!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have Magnaflow tru-x pipes. They're stamped pipes though.

As for the tail lights, you can go one of two options, painted or tinted overlay. Personally, I think painted is the way to go. It's more expensive than overlays, but looks the best. If you're on a budget, then go overlays. For painting, there are two ways to do it....paint outside or paint inside. Inside is more expensive as they'll have to bake it to loosen the adhesive to remove the lens from the assembly. Benefits of doing so is the paint is protected from the elements and scratches. Both will give the same look though...it's just an added protection benefit. Most body shops offer tail light tinting services. For those in rural areas or who can't find any local shops that will do this, I have heard good reviews (although personally have no experience with) Jon's Tinted Tails (Jon's Tinted Tails | Home Page). They specialize in tail light tinting and offer shipping services.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I really appreciate the imput guys! to Gwgwerertyty i live in NY and I only asked one place so far, where the guy asked for 200 because he said the whole process is a lot of work. Of course, I didn't do it. I'm still looking around for a place to add the x pipe and will probably do it a little later. And gw, did you get the magnaflow tru x pipe or another brand?
THANKS!
Yes I have magnaflow too. but i didnt get them myself. the muffler shop i went to had them in stock, so i just bought one from them. If you were in LA I could tell you which one I went to.. but anyway.

i've heard concerns about the air flow in stamped pipes because of their shape, but i've looked into the stock resonator and it seems like its made the same way or at least have more or less the same stamped shape, so i guess its all good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is the x pipe that I got: Magnaflow Tru-X Pipes. It only cost me 80 so 200 dollars to install this is out of the question.

AZN, for the taillight tinting do you think you can give me approximate prices? I just saw a c class with the red portions tinted really dark along with the blinkers on the mirrors, giving them that maxima kind of look if you know what i'm talking about and it looked alright. But the dark tints on the taillights look really sexy IMO and I really want to do them.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
This is the x pipe that I got: Magnaflow Tru-X Pipes. It only cost me 80 so 200 dollars to install this is out of the question.

AZN, for the taillight tinting do you think you can give me approximate prices? I just saw a c class with the red portions tinted really dark along with the blinkers on the mirrors, giving them that maxima kind of look if you know what i'm talking about and it looked alright. But the dark tints on the taillights look really sexy IMO and I really want to do them.

Thanks guys!
It varies by a lot from shop to shop and even region by region. Mine was done for free through my shop, but look for it to cost anywhere from $80-200.

Personally, I like the reds tinted cherry (medium tint) with the whites clear for lighter color cars. Smoke the whites if you have a darker car.

Here's a decent comparison shot:
Stock

Cherry Tinted

Closeup

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, it looks nice! I have a black C350 and I saw another black c class with really dark tints for the taillights and i liked it, so i'm probably going to stick with that. Were your tailights taken out and then painted if so how long did the process take?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts