Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,<p>first, sorry for my bad english.<p>I am from germany and I drove first the E50 AMG (97-00),<br>then I bought the E55AMG/new model 2001. <br>In comparison, the E55 goes much better from<br>0 - 100 km/h and also between 100 km/h to 200 km/h.<br>Also, the engine sounds more attractive.<p>Like the E50, the E55 runs 270 km/h ( I thought only 250), then it locks.<br>( its allowed on our highways). But the undercarriage<br>of the E55AMG is much more gentle/soft in curves at<br>lower and higher speeds. Boths cars had/have no ADS,<br>but something was changed to the new model.<br>In my opinion, its a little bit to gentle because<br>if you have to brake and higher speeds, the E55 is not <br>so stable as the very first model. Ok, its a sedan,<br>but the E50 was very stable in curves at top speed,<br>more stable as the first Audi TT and nearly as the 993 4S (911 Carrera, had some races in the mountains on the highways to Munich). It also seems to me that the E55¦s undercarriage is not so low as the E50¦s. Does ADS change<br>something?? But its idle, my E55 doesn`t have it and<br>even so its a very nice car.<p>..had also some races with a BMW 750i Alpina...<br>at top speed same like E55, but acceleration is <br>bad, also even the new 996 doesn`t go better than the AMG,<br>and in the mountains, the E55AMG is able distance<br>the porsche a little bit when accelerating.<p><br>The new SLK32 AMG is a bomb...we have a magazine<br>in germany which tests cars on the Nnrburgring ( its a very famous grand prix track, closed for F1 in the 70¦s?!? too dangerous)<p>They compared the SLK32 AMG with the Z3 M roadster<br>and the SLK32 won. That¦s surprising because you all know the M series of BMW is a little bit more sporty and harder and has manual gears....BMW has another philosophy....<p>thank you for posting answers<p>J÷rn<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Interesting comparisons

Thank you for the notes J÷rn, for those of us in North America, we can only listen with envy how you can take the E55 to 250km/h +.<p>We look forward to more updates from you.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
: Hello,<p>first, sorry for my bad english.<p>I am from germany and I drove first the E50 AMG (97-00),<br>then I bought the E55AMG/new model 2001. <br>In comparison, the E55 goes much better from<br>0 - 100 km/h and also between 100 km/h to 200 km/h.<br>Also, the engine sounds more attractive.<p>Like the E50, the E55 runs 270 km/h ( I thought only 250), then it locks.<br>( its allowed on our highways). But the undercarriage<br>of the E55AMG is much more gentle/soft in curves at<br>lower and higher speeds. Boths cars had/have no ADS,<br>but something was changed to the new model.<br>In my opinion, its a little bit to gentle because<br>if you have to brake and higher speeds, the E55 is not <br>so stable as the very first model. Ok, its a sedan,<br>but the E50 was very stable in curves at top speed,<br>more stable as the first Audi TT and nearly as the 993 4S (911 Carrera, had some races in the mountains on the highways to Munich). It also seems to me that the E55¦s undercarriage is not so low as the E50¦s. Does ADS change<br>something?? But its idle, my E55 doesn`t have it and<br>even so its a very nice car.<p>..had also some races with a BMW 750i Alpina...<br>at top speed same like E55, but acceleration is <br>bad, also even the new 996 doesn`t go better than the AMG,<br>and in the mountains, the E55AMG is able distance<br>the porsche a little bit when accelerating.<p><br>The new SLK32 AMG is a bomb...we have a magazine<br>in germany which tests cars on the Nnrburgring ( its a very famous grand prix track, closed for F1 in the 70¦s?!? too dangerous)<p>They compared the SLK32 AMG with the Z3 M roadster<br>and the SLK32 won. That¦s surprising because you all know the M series of BMW is a little bit more sporty and harder and has manual gears....BMW has another philosophy....<p>thank you for posting answers<p>J÷rn<br><br>Interesting notes though I'm a bit confused...In the US, we always had the E55. I'm not sure of the history of the E50. However, when the E55/AMG was first introduced in the US (1999), the automotive press made it sound like the suspension was much too stiff, almost brutal for in town driving. Yet, my 2001 E55 feels almost too soft with more body roll than my wife's '97 BMW 528i. I'm curious if anyway had heard if AMG tweaked the suspension in subsequent years to a more compliant ride.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts