Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002 S500, 1999 C230 Kompressor, 1997 C230
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have never seen clamps like these and I am not sure how to work them.

Just when I thought I saw it all, along comes a clamp that I have never seen before. This clamp came with a boot which covers the inner tie rod, and the boot is from Febi.

The clamp is coiled around itself several times just like a watch spring and then it goes past two prongs and through an eye. It looks like I should just pull the metal end taught, which would tighten several layers of springs, bend back the end piece over the eye, and then bend down the prongs. Or do I undo the coil and use only one thickness of the metal?

·
Registered
2000 S430 156k (11/12)
507 Posts
That's a 1 time use boot clamp, you have to get it loose over the last teeth and it will come off. If you're not replacing the boot itself, you have to ve gentle with it.
You can order a new clamp from parts.com, the part number is 2204630117 or you can buy kit that contains the 2 clamps, the boot and seal ring, part number for the kit is 2204601000.
You can take the clamp to Advance Auto and they will show you the tool that installs that clamp, I think it is a $10 plier.

·
Premium Member
2002 S500, 1999 C230 Kompressor, 1997 C230
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That's a 1 time use boot clamp, you have to get it loose over the last teeth and it will come off. If you're not replacing the boot itself, you have to ve gentle with it.
You can order a new clamp from parts.com, the part number is 2204630117 or you can buy kit that contains the 2 clamps, the boot and seal ring, part number for the kit is 2204601000.
You can take the clamp to Advance Auto and they will show you the tool that installs that clamp, I think it is a $10 plier.
Thanks for the info on Advance Auto. I will stop there and see what they have.

The clamp came with a new boot and I am still wondering how to use it. Do I keep it coiled and pull it taught, or do I uncoil it and pull it back through?

·
Registered
2000 S430 156k (11/12)
507 Posts
This is how it works. If you have the original mbz clamp, place the 3 holes over the 3 teeth while the clap is around the booth and pinch the raised area of the clamp with the special plier, it will tighten the clamp thus securing the booth where it is suppose to be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts