Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states...

and which shocks are better?

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
When I was under my I saw that the drivers side has a Monroe shock and the other has a Blistien, I can tell which side rides better.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Bilstein HD. No one says good things about the Konis. Price wise shop around, I am a fan of autohausaz.com

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool thanks guys. So I'll be going for HDs for sure.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you're done, pasakay naman. That way I'll know whether to go with HD's or just regular comforts :D
This is going to be a summer project where in the summer there is no school and I'll be able to work again :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Paolo, don't go with the HD's they're too firm, get the comforts all around. I doubt you'll be racing the 240D auto trans anyhow.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Paolo, don't go with the HD's they're too firm, get the comforts all around. I doubt you'll be racing the 240D auto trans anyhow.
How does HD fronts and Comforts rear sound?

·
Registered
17 Posts
No HDs on sedan?

I was just about to order a set of HDs for my '85 300D 4-speed w/ AC assuming my car is heavier (foolish I know, but I can't find any solid weight data) than older 240s and would be better suited to a stiffer shock. Also, my car was originally sold as a taxi in Belgium so I figured it might have heavier-duty shocks as originals than a US consumer car would have anyway. Anyone who's been in a European taxi knows why I think this.

Is there really a big difference in ride between HD and Comforts?

I was hoping to stabilize the body a bit, but I don't want to be pounded on. Also, my shocks/springs supposedly have 235k on them (body still pops right up without any real bounce).

My car doesn't sag at all, should I consider changing the springs also? If so, anyone got experience with performance springs (H&R 30mm lowering?). Will I destroy the ride? I don't mind FIRM but I don't wanna be rattling stuff loose.

Anyone with experience with changing out springs/shocks give me an idea what to do here.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Ya I really dont know about that. Don't get HDs on a 126 from what I have heard. I have them on my 123 and they handle great. I wish I could find Sports but they are no longer made I guess.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had bilstien hd's on my 83 240d, and i liked them.... I had less body roll after installing the bilstien heavy duty...:DThen i sold the car:crybaby2:

·
Registered
337 Posts
I was just about to order a set of HDs for my '85 300D 4-speed w/ AC assuming my car is heavier (foolish I know, but I can't find any solid weight data) than older 240s and would be better suited to a stiffer shock. Also, my car was originally sold as a taxi in Belgium so I figured it might have heavier-duty shocks as originals than a US consumer car would have anyway. Anyone who's been in a European taxi knows why I think this.

Is there really a big difference in ride between HD and Comforts?

I was hoping to stabilize the body a bit, but I don't want to be pounded on. Also, my shocks/springs supposedly have 235k on them (body still pops right up without any real bounce).

My car doesn't sag at all, should I consider changing the springs also? If so, anyone got experience with performance springs (H&R 30mm lowering?). Will I destroy the ride? I don't mind FIRM but I don't wanna be rattling stuff loose.

Anyone with experience with changing out springs/shocks give me an idea what to do here.
If your shocks have 235K on them they are shot - no shock lasts that long. Your springs may be fine - replace the shocks first. When Bilsteins are new they have an outstanding firm response, as they age two things can happen: one, they can leak, go soft and not provide good shock absorbtion or two, they can get stiffer - harder and unyielding - it's like not much shock absorbtion at all - either outcome can pound away at all your front end parts.. All you need on your sedan is the Bilstein Comforts - when they are new, they are all the shocks you'll ever need - and change them about every 90-100K miles.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
How does HD fronts and Comforts rear sound?
Benzoid ran rear HD's and front comforts. That made the car handle quite well. I can't remember if he went to all comforts since the ride was pretty rough with the HD's around town. We had a heck of a time installing those things!

·
Premium Member
1,555 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To be honest I'm Not really going for a comfy ride. Right now I'm more for handling.. I'm really really sick of the body roll. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I bought two Bilstein HD front shocks for my coupe from autopartsworld.com, 1980 Mercedes-Benz 300CD Shock Absorber - Auto Parts World

they were 63.00 each and free shipping over 75 dollars. I bought them mostly based off winmutt's recommendation. It took my 8 hours to put them in... If you do it, get the right tool, a long handled 10mm box wrench, I used the tiny Mercedes one that came with my car. It was tough getting the bottom bolts off even with lots of PB blaster. I don't think I got the top bolts right, I lowered the car off the jackstands then tightened them, the right side shock bolt was in deeper than the left. Maybe because the surface of my garage isn't exactly even, I'll have to re-do those top ones.

I am happy with the performance of HD's on my coupe, I had lots of body roll before on my 125k OEM shocks. The ride isn't much rougher than before, and now the car is smooth as glass on the highway.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts