Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 312 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am not really a religious man, but this call for our prayers does come from me. It comes from Polly, Sam Dearthage's wife.

Polly just called me and told me some shocking and sad news that Sam was hit Monday evening just before sundown by a man driving a Lexus SUV, and was critically injured and is currently in a Coma at the Trauma Center in Austin TX.

Before anyone says anything about me revealing personal information, Polly asked me specifically to post the call for prayers, and the details of the accident, and his condition. She will be calling me constantly to update all of us. She told me that she knew Sam and I were good friends and talked often as I had talked to her on two occasions that Sam and I were talking. She also said she knew of Sam's membership and participation at BW and she knew he had other friends here and wanted to make sure everyone that knows him here, is informed of his condition and status.

Now as to the details she gave me:

Sam is at the Trauma center in Austin, TX where he was Airlifted by Helo from the scene. What saved Sams life were two things. The first is that the accident happened 400 yards from a fire station. Not just any Fire house, one that had the Helo stationed there. So they heard the accident and responded instantly. There was no delay to get to him and get life support started.

The second thing, and the more miraculous was that a trauma surgeon just happened to be passing the scene as it happened and he saved Sam's life. He intubated Sam on scene and got him on life support within minutes and before he had even been extracted.

She said they had to use the Jaws of life to extract him and as soon as they did the helo was on scene and they airlifted him to the #1 rated Trauma center in all of Texas, Polly said. She learned of the Doctor that was on scene when he called the ICU to check on his progress. Polly had previously been unaware of his presence on scene and is eager to meet him and thank him for his help.

The collision:

As for the man that hit Sam, I will relay only the facts that Polly has given me and that I wrote down. I will not comment on him. You guys can if you want, have at it. I will not. I am only going to relate the facts I am given in an accurate manner. What we do know about him is that he is about my age, late 40's to early 50's and he was driving a Lexus GL460 "She thinks" she is not sure but she said it was a SUV type. The State Troopers were on scene within minutes and the driver said that the "Sun had got in his eyes and obstructed his view". The Doctor on scene that saved Sam's life also said the same exact thing. That when he was in the car giving life support, the sun was glaring.

The State Trooper at the scene smelled Alcohol on him and asked him if he had been drinking and he said he had hours before. The Trooper cuffed him and took him into custody where he was held for three hours. He voluntarily submitted to all tests both breath and blood and he passed with all ZEROS... He was released. I do not know if he was cited or not. He has contacted Polly and is sick about it and has showed great remorse over the incident. Polly truly believes that it was an accident, that he was completely sober, and that he is truly sorry and sick over the whole thing.

Sam was driving a 200 Mitsubishi Galant and not the Mercedes. Had he been in the Benz, we all know he probably would have fared better. But Sam had to get a Galant for work. In Sams work he does a lot of driving and need the better mileage and can't be rolling in an SEC for work.

Sam's Condition:

Sam is in ICU in critical condition. Doctors are "Hopeful" that he will make it through the next 24-48 hours. He is basically hour by hour. Both legs are shattered and they are compound fractures (Meaning bone through the skin). His right arm is broken and shattered. His face is shattered and she said the Doctor said "His nose is in 100 pieces". He is still on a ventilator of course and on total life support. The Coma was accident induced, not medically induced. So if he comes out of it, he comes out of it. They are not keeping him in one though.

Sam and I were pretty close even though we never have met. We talked at least once a week for the last 2 years, and we talked about everything. I knew about his troubles and he mine. We leaned on each other and shared things friends do. I am glad I made enough of an impression on Polly that she would think to call me and let me know what happened to my friend.

Like I said, I am not a religious man, but my thoughts and best wishes go out to Polly and the Kids. I know there are many believers out there, so please, send your best prayers for my friend Sam Dearthage.

Polly, I hope Sam makes a full and swift recovery, and I know he loves you very much. He tells me every time we talk.

I will update this the minute I hear ANYTHING. Thank you all in advance for the family.

·
Registered
1989 300SE (Rear Ended & Junked) 1995 E420, Fully Loaded with Ortho Seats & Rear Sun Shade :)
503 Posts
Thank You Mclare & our prayers are with you. We hope that he makes out before Christmas Day & spends and the family, God willing.

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
Damn. I have recurrent nightmares about just this kind of thing....

I'm not a praying man, but my thoughts are with Polly, Sam and his family-- may he survive the next 48 hrs (the toughest ones in his condition) and make a full recovery with time.

Makes me want to hug my wife and kids.....

·
Registered
1989 560SEL, 1979 Cressida MX32, 2006 F150 Lariat
1,510 Posts
Thanks mclare for sharing this with everyone here at BW. This is the kind of news nobody likes to hear, especially a loved one. My thoughts and prayers go out to Sam to make it through this horrible ordeal. Please keep everyone posted mclare.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I got to the part about Polly and the kids, I neglected to mention his kids names: Emily 7, Axel 5 and Ivy 2. Emily knows and is still in school. The two little ones do not know.

·
Registered
380 sel
351 Posts
My prayers, thoughts and best wishes are with Sam and his family. In my ICU experience, head injuries are unpredictable. It may look extremely bleak and medical evidence may suggest a poor prognosis but by some miracle some patients patients with "catastrophic injuries" pull through. We cannot explain it. We just accept that "it wasn't their time". I am not trying to give false hope, but this is the way it is in reality.
Perhaps it is the will of the patient and the prayers of family and friends... who knows.
I do know that The Trauma Center in Austin TX has a damn good reputation across the globe, so he is in a good place. Stay Strong Polly.

·
R.I.P. Never Forgotten
1983-2007 MB's
8,023 Posts
Speechless here....thanks for sharing the news Mike. I will keep Sam in my thoughts tonight. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
There are occasions where prayer is simultaneously the "least" (as in "it's the least I can do") -- and by far the most -- we can do, and this sounds like one of them. Please tell Polly I'll be praying not only for Sam and his quick and complete recovery, but also for she and the kids, that they may not be anxious; the peace of God can be quite powerful. And for you, too, as well as their other friends.

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,944 Posts
Sam was driving a 200 Mitsubishi Galant and not the Mercedes. Had he been in the Benz, we all know he probably would have fared better. But Sam had to get a Galant for work. In Sams work he does a lot of driving and need the better mileage and can't be rolling in an SEC for work.
This should be at the top of the story. Prayers out to his family, and a reminder to other BW members to drive their Benzes and not the other tin cans that masquerade as safe cars out there.

It takes a tragedy to remind us a Galant, or any econobox, cannot protect occupants as well as could a w126.

·
Slightly creased
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,613 Posts
Thank you Mike for bring the community up to date.

I am sure everyone will be channeling positive thoughts and energy towards Sam.

At this time of year especially his family will feel the absence from home while he recovers.

I am sure you will convey to Polly all of our best wishes to her and Sam.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
My thoughts and prayers go out to our friend Sam and his family.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,706 Posts
Not a praying man either, but my thoughts are with him and will keep my fingers crossed.
Let's hope we'll see his self depreciating humorous posts again soon.

1 - 20 of 312 Posts