Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1997 S-500 with 37000 miles
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a link to a diagram or photo of the A/C drain line? I'm still getting the occassional whiff of foul air coming from the center vent. I'm wanting to make certain that the condensation line is draining. I've taking it to the dealer to have all of the cabin filters changed, evaporator foam sprayed and system checked. It smelled wonderful for 2 days. Now, it's back (but maybe not as noticable). I only notice it when the system first turns on and blows slightly warm air. A puff of smelly socks or a musty old boat.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The puff of smelly socks in GONE. I treated the ventilation system with an anti-mold solution and followed up with a cleaning peroxide solution. The smell is gone for now. It was just a light whiff of odor when you started the car for the first time in the morning or ran the RES. It was not noticable later in the day.

I had the A/C evaporator cleaned - smell vanished for 2-3 days.
I changed all three filters - no change.
I took the under the hood cabin air intake system apart and sniffed every piece!

Solution: Two drain holes on the air INTAKE pan, that runs the width of the car, were clogged with DECAYING leaves. Only about a thimble full in each of them, but that was the smell. I sprayed the entire setup with the anti-mold solution. Wiped it down and buttoned everything back up. The smell was gone! After a week I did it again for good measure and cleaned the pan with a hydrogen peroxide cleaning solution. I cleaned for about an hour on every plastic nook and cranny. It didn't look dirty, but the tray was filthy with 11 years of crud.

·
Registered
current fleet: 1996 s500; 1997 BMW 328ic; 2000 Nissan Frontier; 1966 AC Cobra
279 Posts
I presume that the "air intake pan" you referred to is under the hood and underneath the plastic shroud that runs the width of the firewall. This is shroud that you remove to replace the cabin air filter (one of them).

Please confirm the location of the drain lines - I neeed to do the same with mine.

Ed in SC

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I presume that the "air intake pan" you referred to is under the hood and underneath the plastic shroud that runs the width of the firewall. This is shroud that you remove to replace the cabin air filter (one of them).

Please confirm the location of the drain lines - I neeed to do the same with mine.

Ed in SC
Yes, it's the plastic piece with a hundred screws in it. I removed both tray and top from the system and cleaned away. The two drains are visible from the bottom side. One is under the metal screen triangle piece. The end of the rubber tube (passenger side) drain is shaped like it's been pinched. The other one is a flapper cover on the drivers side of the tray. The anti-mold treatment concentrate and H2O2 cleaner were purchased from Lowes. I've spent over $1000 trying to find the source of the odor. I even asked the dealer about clearing/cleaning the drains. The MB dealer assured me they cleaned them. They didn't even look. I should have stayed with my local mechanic. He's truly an expert on the W140. I wrongly thought that MB would have a trick to rid a car of A/C vent odor. The odor was faint and only noticable briefly. Everyone thought I was being a perfectionist about it. So be it! It's now fixed to my satisfaction.

·
Registered
2012 350ML
383 Posts
The anti-mold treatment concentrate and H2O2 cleaner were purchased from Lowes.

Gold Benz, can you elaborate on the brand name of these products and where you found them at Lowes? My R129 smells bad enough to make you want to get out of the car and I'm trying to find a product like this. I believe I only have one drain in the heater case but my fix will be similar to yours. Did you spray the solution through the fan while it was running or did you get it from the front? I think the R129 has the evaporator before the heater core - not sure about the 140.

Thanks for your help.

Matt

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gold Benz, can you elaborate on the brand name of these products and where you found them at Lowes? My R129 smells bad enough to make you want to get out of the car and I'm trying to find a product like this. I believe I only have one drain in the heater case but my fix will be similar to yours. Did you spray the solution through the fan while it was running or did you get it from the front? I think the R129 has the evaporator before the heater core - not sure about the 140.

Thanks for your help.

Matt
I don't know about the R129. The anti-mold concentrate is moldstat MoldSTAT plus Mold Cleaner - EPA registered mold remediation product. Powerful mold and mildew cleaner removes mold stains.

I also used the moldstat peroxide cleaner.

Mold Cleaner Peroxy Kling removes Drywall mold stains. Hydrogen Peroxide Powered, EPA Registered mold cleaner and killer for vertical surfaces.

Everything still smells fresh.

·
Registered
2012 350ML
383 Posts
Thanks for the info - I found a Zinsser product at Menard's
that looks very similar to what you have but I didn't buy it waiting on your reply. PERMA-WASHTM Disinfectant & Fungicide Interior Concentrate It was $20 for one gallon of concentrate.

Any insight on how you got it to the evaporator?

Thanks again,

Matt

·
Registered
2000 C280, 2006 E350, 1993 400E, 2007 SLK55 AMG, 1994 S500, 2008 E320 Bluetec
685 Posts
I have used Ozium in the past. A bottle can be picked up at CVS, Rite Aid, Wallgreens, etc. It is strong stuff and can cause cardiac arrest if you breathe in the vapors!

Turn on A/C, select recirc, set fan to high, spray the can towards the front passenger footwell. Close car door and run! After about 3 minutes, shut the car off and let it sit overnight or for several hours with the doors closed and the windows sealed.

It may take a few applications over a week or so, but it will kill mold anywhere air makes contact.

Ozium has been around for a long time. It's apparently used in hospitals. Keep it away from children.

If you have asthma, have someone spray it for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts