Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. I think I have found my low presure side fill point for freon. Can someone look at the first attached picture and can you tell me if it is an r12 connection or if it has been converted to r134?

The second picture is my old fuel filter I changed the other day. Is this gunk normal or is this a sign of an alge problem? I don't know when the filter was last changed so I don't know how long it took to get this way.

And in the last picture I have this vacuume line that seems to be missing. Does everyones look like this or should something be connected here? It is a kind of weird connector, but one side seems to have a brown line coming in but nothing going out.

Thanks a bunch!

Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
mikec92117 - 4/25/2005 4:18 PM

O.K. I think I have found my low presure side fill point for freon. Can someone look at the first attached picture and can you tell me if it is an r12 connection or if it has been converted to r134?

The second picture is my old fuel filter I changed the other day. Is this gunk normal or is this a sign of an alge problem? I don't know when the filter was last changed so I don't know how long it took to get this way.

And in the last picture I have this vacuume line that seems to be missing. Does everyones look like this or should something be connected here? It is a kind of weird connector, but one side seems to have a brown line coming in but nothing going out.

Thanks a bunch!

Mike
Mike, can't tell if it's been converted that way. But you sure got the low point pin. The gunk in your filter might indicate algae. If your new filter blackens soon, you might have algae in your trunk. If it takes a while to blacken, then perhaps there isn't much. I just replaced mine a week ago (along w/ Diesel Purge) and my old filter looks just like your old one. Your vacuum line image is a bit vague. I can't tell which one goes where. But in case you're curious here's mine (attached below). This is the best image I have. In case you're still confused, there should be a diagram on the radiator support, just above the left headlight, about how your vacuum lines should be. It seems to me that:

Your line from the main vacuum line going to the brake booster is missing. I made a diagram of how mine fits. Perhaps a bigger picture of the whole vacuum line area could make it clearer.

In my diagram the large circle is the brake reservoir. A line goes to that (main vacuum line) and on my car it has two exits going to two Y fittings. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at the diagram and can't really make any sense of it. It isn't labeled real well. Here is hopefully a better picture of what I am talking about. There are two lines coming off the main line. The one closest to the brakes is a green one that goes into a kind of figure 8 connector. Out of the same side of the figure 8 as the green input line is another green line. Out the other side of the figure 8 is a brown line and an empty spot. I'm guessing there should be something on this empty spot?? I can see the figure 8 adapter thing in the chart but it doesn't say what color the lines are except the green going in and it doesn't say where they go. The Brown one on the same side as the missing line goes into the fire wall.

Can you make any sense out of this new picture??

Thanks,

Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
It seems that 1984 has changed alot in terms of the vacuum diagram:

The fitting you're holding is a 5-way fitting that has, according to the above diagram, 3 extra routes. One of the them should be coming from the main line which is by your thumb on the third pic you posted. The route on your index finger (same image) is not clear as to where it should go. There are newer devices on your car that I'm no longer familiar with.

The diagram above shows the colors now. I hope this helps. Print it out and take it with you while you pull or plug some lines. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! where did you find that?

It looks like my missing hose though is labeled as a generic "remain consumers". Have any idea what that means?

Well I have a good place to start now [:D][:D][:D]

Thanks Karugs!

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Mike, you are most welcome.

There's an Online Tech Help thread about lots of DIY pages and self-diagnostic tools you can do to your car. Very easy to comprehend and covers almost all the usual problems of an aging W123.

Click on the BoostnBenz site. He's made a huge compilation of sorts. [8D]

How did it go? I bet some of your fittings are dry and may be leaking vacuum. [:p]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts