Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
280CE 1984
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have just bit the bullet and had an a/c retrofit on my beloved girl.

The old gas was very low, and not very cooling - and we can't get R12 here at all.

So, after much research and advice - I have had her converted to 134a.

The guy did the job, replaced the drier filter and a pressure switch as it looked as though it had been leaking from there. Total cost $396 AUD

All seems to be good - it is winter here - so no need for air con at the moment, but I put it on anyway and I was freezing cold last night....:)

When I got home and had a look, I notice there is a little glass window on the drier filter - is this something to help me visibly check that there is gas/liquid in there..?

I am hoping that this summer will be much cooler now...!!

Martyn.

·
Registered
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300DT; 1980 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
780 Posts
You'll see some "bubbles" flow through it when you intially turn your A/C on, after a bit it'll go away, most people dont rely on this, and actually check there low/high pressure ports with gauges.

·
Registered
1978 280ce euro found dead on Ebay
1,805 Posts
Yeah it's a peep hole, sight glass, etc.. It's so you can see fluid moving by. In the R12 system you would want to see a few bubbles and then rev and thay go away. But since you have done a conversion that does not apply any more. The person that did retrofit added the correct amount of R134a which is less than the correct amount of R12 by weight. So odds are you willl see bubbles but don't add anymore R134a.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts