Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2002 S500
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The A/C started to only work intermittently a few weeks ago. If it goes on it will just shut. I feel its the blower as he A/C works great when on. Any ideas would be helpful. I checked all fuses and found none bad.

·
Registered
2004 S430 W220
17 Posts
I had the same problem a few years ago. The A/C would stop working intermittently. It turned out that the blower motor would quit due to the carbon brushes being worn out. Unfortunately there is no easy way to replace the carbon brushes, only the entire blower motor with fan is replaceable. Look for instructions on YouTube on how to remove it, check it, and replace it.
Here is one:

·
Registered
2002 S500
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the same problem a few years ago. The A/C would stop working intermittently. It turned out that the blower motor would quit due to the carbon brushes being worn out. Unfortunately there is no easy way to replace the carbon brushes, only the entire blower motor with fan is replaceable. Look for instructions on YouTube on how to remove it, check it, and replace it.
Here is one:
Thank you

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
5,424 Posts
The other possibility is that it's the regulator/resistor box. This is what provides the different voltages to the A/C blower motor so you get your low, medium, high, max speeds (there are six speeds total). If that regulator/resistor box went kaput, then your fan won't get any voltage and won't come on.

Fortunately, it's not a difficult task to measure the voltage at the output of the regulator/resistor box. The fan plugs right into it, and there are two connectors (high and low), so just disconnect the fan, hook up a voltmeter to the regulator/resistor outputs, and turn on the fan switch, going from low to high, and see if the voltage changes with each step. It should. If it does, then your fan assembly's indeed shot; time to replace it. If not, then either that regulator/resistor is shot, or the voltage that's supposed to be going to it...isn't.

To check that, which is what you do next, is disconnect the input to the regulator/resistor. Hook up your voltmeter to those supply leads and run through the different speeds of the fan switch. You should see a voltage change there with each step as well. If you do, then the problem is the regulator/resistor; time to replace that part. If not...then that would point to the fan controller assembly.

And watch out for those cheap blower motors for sale on eBay from China. The fan may not be properly balanced causing vibration when running. Don't ask me how I know...
Good luck!
Couldn't agree more. Leave that made-in-China crap alone. You want to go with Behr parts, since they're the OEM who makes them for MB, and they are made in Germany.

Reactions: Dave2302

·
Registered
2002 S500
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered the both, the blower motor and resistor box just to be safe off of Amazon, The rating of the sellers seemed good. I should have it installed over the weekend.

·
W220 Moderator
8,093 Posts
I ordered the both, the blower motor and resistor box just to be safe off of Amazon,
I don't know why folks bother giving advice about cheap shit parts on this forum !!

Fleabay and Amazon are full of fake parts, fake reviews etc etc.

·
Registered
Too many to list
10,272 Posts
Fcpeuro, rockauto, autohausaz, pelicanparts etc .

Only shop at real online auto parts stores , because Amazon and eBay are mostly Chinese counterfeit parts

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
5,424 Posts
OP, please listen to the folks above advising you. Don't ever order new MB parts on Amazon, or FleaBay. Use a reputable (Amazon and FleaBay are NOT reputable for this) vendor. You've already been given some examples, above (I generally use FCPEuro, RockAuto, eEuroParts, and MBOemParts).

Cancel that order and redo it with one of the reputable vendors.

·
Registered
2003 S500
3,057 Posts
It is perhaps surprising that there are several Mercedes dealerships that sell parts on-line at a serious discount.

I spent several days stripping down and refurbishing an Airmatic valve block, and have not been entirely satisfied with the results. I finally decided to just buy a new one. I could get cheap chinese valve blocks for about $80, or a new factory part from the Atlanta dealership for $454, $462 from Pelican, $348 from FCP Euro, $303 from eEuroparts, and $248 from Mercedes of Ft Washington.

Pretty easy decision...

·
Registered
S500 4Matic 2005, S550 4Matic 2013
1,281 Posts
It is perhaps surprising that there are several Mercedes dealerships that sell parts on-line at a serious discount.

I spent several days stripping down and refurbishing an Airmatic valve block, and have not been entirely satisfied with the results. I finally decided to just buy a new one. I could get cheap chinese valve blocks for about $80, or a new factory part from the Atlanta dealership for $454, $462 from Pelican, $348 from FCP Euro, $303 from eEuroparts, and $248 from Mercedes of Ft Washington.

Pretty easy decision...
I think I know what you are gonna do. You are gonna go for the Chinese Plastic one. Then will come back here and tell us that there is still a problem with your suspension even after putting a brand new part from Amazon :p:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2003 S500
3,057 Posts
Ya, you betcha!

The FedEx guy just dropped off the box from the Mercedes dealership - two-day shipping from the West Coast. I commented to my wife that you could look at the part and tell that it was well-made. She looked at it and agreed. Now to get the S500 in the shop and get the right front off...

·
Registered
S500 4Matic 2005, S550 4Matic 2013
1,281 Posts
Ya, you betcha!

The FedEx guy just dropped off the box from the Mercedes dealership - two-day shipping from the West Coast. I commented to my wife that you could look at the part and tell that it was well-made. She looked at it and agreed. Now to get the S500 in the shop and get the right front off...
Good man!! Nothing like opening those big boxes with the good parts in them :)
Hope the repair goes quick and well for you Wally (y)

·
Registered
Too many to list
10,272 Posts

Pretty easy decision...
How did you get it so cheap ? Ft Washington is charging $350

·
Registered
2003 S500
3,057 Posts
I ordered from a generic Mercedes Parts web site. I was a little skeptical that I would really get a genuine Mercedes part, but the address came up as a Mercedes dealership (not Mercedes of Ft. Washington). I placed the order, and the response was from Mercedes of Ft. Washington. Apparently, there is a group of dealerships who sell from a common website. (?)

I just looked again for a generic Mercedes website. The first thing that popped up was the same response that you are showing. I tried a different website, and got the following response. I guess that you just have to keep looking, and jump when you get your price...

Wally

Mercedes-Benz Parts Center Logo

Cart
No Vehicle Selected
Search Bar 6

Search by Part Number(s), Keywords, or VIN
Home MERCEDES-BENZ 220-320-02-58
Solenoid Valve - Mercedes-Benz (220-320-02-58)
2000-2006 Mercedes-Benz
  • Solenoid Valve - Mercedes-Benz (220-320-02-58)
Solenoid Valve - Mercedes-Benz (220-320-02-58)

• MSRP:$354.00
  • Discount:$101.72 (28.70% off)
  • Sale Price:$252.28
Make sure this part fits your car
ADD TO CART

Manufacturer WarrantyMinimum of 12 Months

Guaranteed FitmentAlways the correct parts

Shop with ConfidenceYour information is safe

In-House ExpertsWe know our products
  • Genuine:
     Parts
  • SKU:220-320-02-58
  • Other Names:Valve
  • Description:
    S600, s55. S350, s65. Damping valve. S420, s430, s500. Without 4-matic.
  • Condition:New
  • Applications:1.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts