Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300E 2.6
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night on the drive home from work my A/C would not come on, blew hot for the entire 20 mile drive. When I got home I investigated. AC Compressor turning just fine. I decided to check that dual fan thing in front of radiator. Gave them driver side one a spin and it spun fine. A couple seconds later both of those fans began spinning so I checked in the cabin and it was blowing cold. I assume the fans were not spinning during my drive home and that there is some sensor or something that prevents AC from coming on until those fans are spinning? Or what else might cause this? I've only seen this once so far but the previous owner (a friend) said he occassionally had to give those a spin to make A/C work. Doesn't happen often he said but I'd still rather fix it if its cheap and easy.

·
Registered
E320 wagon
953 Posts
I think your charge is low .

Buy the $20- $30 134 charge canister with a "gauge ". When you hook up , it shows your low side pressure ( compressor function check ). You add only what you need .

·
Registered
1990 300CE
72 Posts
Spend the $50 service fee and let a pro take a look at the whole system. If its just low, they can top it up, and ad a bit of dye to it so if it goes low again , it will help them find the leak.

Also, cars did not start using the R-134a freaon until 1993.

If you let us know what car you have, we can better advise you.

·
Registered
2013 E350 sedan, 2013 E350 cab, 1993 400E sold,1999 ML320
2,436 Posts
Normally the first leak in the system is the most costly the interior coil for cooling and is about 1200 to replace. If your able and are like me and dont have that kinda cash to sink into the car buy the stop leak and press you system up. If it is R-12 your probably gonna have to retrofit you system, if so its gonna cost you there also for a new dryer new gaskets and recharging and testing.

·
Registered
1990 300CE
72 Posts
Normally the first leak in the system is the most costly the interior coil for cooling and is about 1200 to replace. If your able and are like me and dont have that kinda cash to sink into the car buy the stop leak and press you system up. If it is R-12 your probably gonna have to retrofit you system, if so its gonna cost you there also for a new dryer new gaskets and recharging and testing.
A word from a professional AC technician........
NEVER put stop leak into your system.

It is 'snake oil', and should be made illegal. It will 'glue up' things inside, and the compressor too.

I will NOT sit here and go into all the effects that crap has on the system, and for the tech when you go in for the 'real' fix.

I charge Dbbl $$$ to clean it out.

·
Registered
1990 300E 2.6
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, should have mentioned it is a 1990 300E 2.6. Apparently its been doing this for a while now but rarely does it happen. In every case giving the fan a spin gets it running again. The AC blows nice and cold too so I think it has something to do with that double fan deal in front of the radiator. I think the car was already converted to the new A/C Juice but I need to verify taht.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Well I am sorry but this snake oil is working great 2 years later and saved me 1200 dollars in labor for dash removal and 200 for the unit to be replaced, plus the 150 dollars to change the drier and recharge the system for a 15 year old ride thats only worth 3-5k not a rational choice for me. Some people have to do what they can. It was hard enough justifying 800 dollars for the engine wiring harness, 200 for spark plug wires , 32 dollars for the non resistor plugs 100 dollars for coils 150 dollars for caps and rotors. Thank goodness it was over 2 years.

We all do want we can for our cars knowing we want to do more.

Good luck on poster in your A/C issue.

·
Registered
1994 E320, 1993 300E
364 Posts
I'm with Macdrone. I had an evaporator leak on a 1994 E320 almost two years ago, Bought some Cliplight Superseal pro and followed the directions to the letter and now almost two years later I have not had to add any R134 and the AC blows ice cold.

·
Registered
1990 300CE
72 Posts
Real repairs

You 2 were fortunate, as others are not. When it doesn't work, it can be a more costly repair job.

I've had to buy a special filter for my AC machine to keep the 'stopleak' out of it. It will ruin it if it gets in, and void my warranty (expliciately marked in the warranty).

If you car is newer, and has the 'ribbon' style condensor, it can plug it up. Another costly part to replace.

I prefer 'real' repairs for my customers, and on my cars, too.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
We all do wish we could afford the right repairs but we do come here alot for cost savings so we do what we can. I mean if we had alot of money wouldnt we buy a new MB? LOL.

·
Registered
1990 300CE
72 Posts
New MB? Yes, that would be nice.
The AC point I am trying to make is: Buyer beware. Best thing to do is get a professional checkout before just running down to the parts house and throwing some stop leak in the system.

Because if that does not do the trick, and you don't know for sure why the AC is not working, or where the leak is, then the actual repairs WILL cost you more.:(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts