Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Yes-- The early ones did have a crimped hose on the top condensor connector. Remove the core and take it to an ac shop. They can use a crimper to put a new hose on it. The hole on the core side of the crimp ferrel most generally must be ground somewhat to fit over the connector on the core.
This is interesting.

My '76 definitely has 3 rubber hoses, which are detachable from the car (I've already removed them), and have threaded fittings:

1. Compressor Manifold to Condenser
2. Compressor Manifold to Evaporator
3. Expansion Valve to Drier

The drier is fitted to the condenser on a direct hard line. I don't see any rubber lines crimped (or otherwise permanently attached) to the condensor.

The compressor manifold is all one piece in steel (I see that on some later cars it appears to be constructed in two parts, joined by rubber hoses). I've attached a photo (not mine - it was posted to ebay, but is identical to what is on my car. That was listed as a 73-76 Compressor Manifold.

This all looks like factory, though perhaps someone did a good job replacing the original condenser at some point?

I've just sent my hoses off to be rebuilt/replacememts made - added photos of them as they came out of the car. If anyone needs close ups of the end fittings, I have them.

-Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
765 Posts
Attached is a clear pic of a 107 AC condenser for sale, new on eBay for $295.00. And it would fit the new high pressure hose that I recently purchased from the dealership. I also see another condenser also on eBay that is the same one that Rock Auto is selling for around 82.00. In my case the old condenser has to come out anyway so if the condenser for $82.00 has that same top male screwed fitting as shown on the condenser for $295.00, it would be best for me to purchase that one. I sent a email asking for a close up pic showing the top connection fitting for the $82.00 as all the suppliers who are selling the $82.00 and higher has no other pic that shows the top condenser fitting. Curious as to if anyone on the forum ever purchased the condenser from Rock Auto and if so what type of top fitting that connects to the high pressure hose does it have....

Attachments

·
Registered
765 Posts
fixer,
I believe now, like you mention your condenser was replaced and your newer condenser came with the condenser to air compressor male fitting so you can use the screw on fitting that's on your high pressor hose and connect it to the condenser. Mine has the old original condenser with the crimp condenser to air compressor fitting. I now need to make a decision either keep my old condenser and have the compressed fitting recompressed or crimp using the newer hose that would have to be cut in the process or look for a new condenser that has the male fitting so I could use the new high pressure line without cutting it. I do prefer a new condenser, but at a reasonable price of around $100.00. The dilemma I'm having now is that condenser from rock auto or one that appears by many sellers are selling has that male threaded fitting. I asked many sellers but they do not have any pics showing the fitting. Fixer, did you decide to use the condenser that you have? Again, has anyone purchased the APDI condenser and can verify the high pressure line's fitting?
Thanks...

·
Registered
765 Posts
Yes, this helped a lot, thank you. Funny, I did a search days ago and this thread of yours never came up. So for me, I ordered the APDI condenser from Parts Geek. They told me if the condenser is not a direct fit they will refund my payment including the return shipping cost. So hopefully, the male threaded 3/4" fitting that connects the high pressure line on top, above the receiver/dryer will be intact with this new condenser I had order. Again thanks.......

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
fixer,
I believe now, like you mention your condenser was replaced and your newer condenser came with the condenser to air compressor male fitting so you can use the screw on fitting that's on your high pressor hose and connect it to the condenser. Mine has the old original condenser with the crimp condenser to air compressor fitting. I now need to make a decision either keep my old condenser and have the compressed fitting recompressed or crimp using the newer hose that would have to be cut in the process or look for a new condenser that has the male fitting so I could use the new high pressure line without cutting it. I do prefer a new condenser, but at a reasonable price of around $100.00. The dilemma I'm having now is that condenser from rock auto or one that appears by many sellers are selling has that male threaded fitting. I asked many sellers but they do not have any pics showing the fitting. Fixer, did you decide to use the condenser that you have? Again, has anyone purchased the APDI condenser and can verify the high pressure line's fitting?
Thanks...
I've not yet decided whether to use the existing condenser; it probably depends on price - if I can get a decent replacement for something in the $100 range I'll go for it; the alternative is a full flush, and I'd need to buy a flush kit anyway. Like you, I'd want one with the flared/threaded fitting as I've already sent my hoses off for a like-for-like rebuild/replacement.

-Steve

·
Registered
765 Posts
I've not yet decided whether to use the existing condenser; it probably depends on price - if I can get a decent replacement for something in the $100 range I'll go for it; the alternative is a full flush, and I'd need to buy a flush kit anyway. Like you, I'd want one with the flared/threaded fitting as I've already sent my hoses off for a like-for-like rebuild/replacement.

-Steve
Steve,
I'm expected to receive the condenser for $101.58 today. I'll let you know if it does have the male threaded fitting. I will take some pics tomorrow, as tracking states is "out for delivery". I see the exact same condenser for a bit less on Ebay but no one would take the time to sent me better pictures and parts geek.com was the only source that guarantee the item would fit and would be completely returnable with no extra stocking fees of shipping cost.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Steve,
I'm expected to receive the condenser for $101.58 today. I'll let you know if it does have the male threaded fitting. I will take some pics tomorrow, as tracking states is "out for delivery". I see the exact same condenser for a bit less on Ebay but no one would take the time to sent me better pictures and parts geek.com was the only source that guarantee the item would fit and would be completely returnable with no extra stocking fees of shipping cost.
Thanks!

I'm also wondering what the dryer fitting and bracketry are like.

I put the heater box in the car last night, including the brand new evaporator from FourSeasons. The low pressure connection seems to be a few degrees off in angle from the original evaporator, so it's almost touching the firewall above it; hoping that I can get the hose on ok, and that it will line up for the hole in the firewall. If not, I may have to slightly bend that piping to the evaporator.

While I wait for the hoses, I'm going through everything that will be hidden behind the dash once it is replaced, looking for problems - vent vacuum units; wiper mechanism (already found a missing bolt on the pivot). If anyone has any suggestions for other things to check while the dash is out, let me know!

-Steve

·
Registered
765 Posts
Well, yesterday I received the APDI AC Condenser from Parts Geek and its not the correct condenser. Fittings are incorrect, its location and thread size.
In the process and waiting for a return called as it's definitely going to be returned. So if anyone was thinking about ordering the APDI condenser as there are many sellers selling this condenser as they all use the same photos, don't. I'm sure there has to be many complaints, I can't be the only one..... I just took pics with closeups and will post them later.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
My new hoses have arrived from Coolhose. All the end fittings seem to be aluminum, as are the connections on the Four-Seasons evaporator I've got. The new fittings appear to be slightly different than the originals (which I'm pretty certain were steel)

This is the first A/C system I've ever rebuilt, so I'm pretty much a newbie with this, so I have another question.

Should I use copper washers (gaskets) in the joints? My guess is no - I'm assuming that the aluminum is soft enough to 'crush' and seal. There were no copper washers or o-rings in the original joints (the only ones I've not yet touched are the ones on the back of the compressor).

-Steve

·
Registered
765 Posts
When I removed my old low and high pressure hoses there were no brass bushing seals or rubber seals. So far the only brass bushing seal that I discovered is in the steel line coming from the bottom of the condenser which connects to the bottom of the receiver/dryer. Autohauseaz shows different size brass bushings in the AC system for my 77SL I believe, but so far I don't see where they go. Anyone here have some thoughts on where these different size brass bushings go ?.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Hoping to find out the answer to this as well.

I'm wondering if the copper is only required for steel/steel joins? My new hoses appear to have aluminum flared ends on all of them. I'm concerned that putting copper washers in there might damage them.

That said, I've not found any copper (or rubber) in mine yet.

Update: Emailed CoolHose (who made my replacement hoses). They indicate that no washers are needed for the flare fittings; I can use them if I want but they don't believe it makes any difference to sealing or longevity of the connection. So - I'm going ahead without them.

-Steve

·
Registered
765 Posts
Another update. A shop evacuated my system the other day. I added the industrial Enviro-Safe refrigerant with the enviro-safe 4oz can of Oil first. Then I added one can and a half of the other 6oz can of refrigerant, constantly checking the low side pressure. It's blowing cold now. I did have a previous problem with heat blowing and mixing with the cold air as I found out my heater valve was open and there was not any vacuum at the heater valve, vacuum element that would close the heater valve. I manually disconnected the heater valve arm from the vacuum element and then cold AC air only was finally flowing out of all the cabin vents. I also used those brass seals on all my AC connections, guess it can't hurt. I'm in the process of getting into the console to see if all the vacuum lines are hooked up correctly, especially the red vacuum line from lever 1 to the heater valve. I'm real happy with the results so far and a real thanks here to the forum members, so much invaluable information here....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Well, yesterday I received the APDI AC Condenser from Parts Geek and its not the correct condenser. Fittings are incorrect, its location and thread size.
In the process and waiting for a return called as it's definitely going to be returned. So if anyone was thinking about ordering the APDI condenser as there are many sellers selling this condenser as they all use the same photos, don't. I'm sure there has to be many complaints, I can't be the only one..... I just took pics with closeups and will post them later.
Reviving the old thread - which condensor did you use in the end - the $275 one from Ebay?

Mine is now at the shop being pressure tested and flushed, but if it looks like any extensive work is needed I'll probably buy a replacement.

-Steve

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
8 Participants
TheFixer
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing