Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

A/C Fan, what the hell is it doing?

1311 11
My AC fan is slowing down and speeding up any tim eit wants, sometimes even shutting off. It will go from full blast to off in about 2 seconds. what is it?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
Mercedes 86 190E 2000 cc
113 Posts
Did you solve the problem, Evan?
I seem to have the same problem, or, even more, I had the fan working then not working, than blowing the fuse, than working but slowing down and going fast, with some noise, like if it needed greasing.... :mad::mad::mad:
Lately I realized that after a big bump it was starting/stopping working, like if there is a loose contact.
I even opened it up and saw that someone, before I bought the car, must have cut one of the wires and put it directly on the pole, like if the switch wasnt working and they tried to fix it that way!
I'll try to open it again and to take pictures!
Anyone of you had this same problem? :confused::confused::confused:
Thanks in advance

· Registered
'98 E300, '10 GL350 Bluetec
1,281 Posts
Dude, Evan had the problem in 2002; I hope he fixed it before his car caught fire!

It seems that this problem is related to the 'intermittent squeak' problem with the fan bushings. The blower motor needs to be rebuilt/repaired/replaced. Mine is due for it but I am waiting for the warm weather! Its funny how this usually appears in the winter!

· Registered
Mercedes 86 190E 2000 cc
113 Posts
Yes, the squeak frequency it's directly proportional to the speed of the fan :(
I know it's a problem of the fan, but not only, in my case!
There is a problem also at the fan switch, since I opened and saw that wire cut off and put directly in the plug :confused:
At the moment the fan is not turning at all in any switch position!
I guess I'll have to open the dashboard again! :(:(:(

· Registered
Mercedes 86 190E 2000 cc
113 Posts
I was very lucky that it started working again as soon as my family joined me in Paris for visiting around again and to drive back with me!!! It worked fine (with squeaking) for about a week! Few minutes ago I started the car and it wasn't working any more! :(

I was wondering...
Could it be that there is a termostatic switch that let the fan go only when in temperature? Or whenever you move the knob the fan starts? In this latter case there must be a false contact in the socket!
Thanks a lot, as usual!

· Registered
Mercedes 86 190E 2000 cc
113 Posts
I didn't yet, but if your car has A/C you get to it from the hood, you have to take off the grill under the wiper and the wiper itself, then you can take off a part of the separation iron plate and unhook the shelter of the fan and slide it out... not easy at all... I'll have to do it.
The squeeking means that the bushing is worn out... we might need a new motor, my friend!

But in my case, in addition of that, I have also an intermittent working of the motor, so I should have a false contact somewhere! :(

· Registered
7 Posts
Thanks. I think I'll wait until warmer weather! It's working right now (intermittenly) with a lot of squeeking when it does work. I'll try and make it last till spring. Mine does have A/C, so I'll try that this spring. Thanks for the info.

· Registered
'01 SLK230,'93 190E 2.3, 1971 LS5 Corvette Convertible
2,237 Posts
Thanks. I think I'll wait until warmer weather! It's working right now (intermittenly) with a lot of squeeking when it does work. I'll try and make it last till spring. Mine does have A/C, so I'll try that this spring. Thanks for the info.
When mine was making a squealing noise, I removed the blower motor and found 1 Oak leaf inside the fan motor housing. After removing the leaf and cleaning out any debris and dust, I re-installed the fan motor and it has been quiet ever since.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.