Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,479 Posts
BTW, I’m not saying that all Chinese parts are garbage. OEM’s with Chinese manufacturing plants try diligently to maintain high QC standards, but with varying degrees of success. Either way, I am hoping that whatever lands on my doorstep next week is an actual, made in Japan, genuine Denso unit, and not one of these: Chinese Garbage Denso Knockoff Compressor
I am still using Chinese automotive wrenches that I bought 36 years ago. But I bought them in Poland, where communist government (at the time) was ordering Chrome-vanadium steel tools from China. US supplier had 3 criteria for ordering from China
1.cheap
2 cheap
3 cheap
So when in last few years I bought 100's of stuff directly from China, I don't buy what US middle man can offer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Very good point Kajtek1. Like anywhere else, products assembled China have the potential to be very well made. As an example, look at the smartphones and some other electronics produced there. QC of the entire supply chain, including raw materials, is critically important, yet not always achieved.

Markets driven by "middle men" trying to satisfy the demand for the cheapest possible products, combined with a culture that disregards intellectual property rights or branding, results in the problems we currently see. Do we want to have a choice between playing Russian roulette by purchasing an $80 knockoff compressor versus paying $250 for a genuine one? Fine. But I abhor the current conditions where we don't know what we will actually receive due to rampant counterfeiting.

FWIW, 50 years ago, anything with a "made in Japan" label was usually considered garbage too. Times change...

·
Registered
36,479 Posts
Do we want to have a choice between playing Russian roulette by purchasing an $80 knockoff compressor versus paying $250 for a genuine one?
That's just 1 sample. Common with 4Matic owners is a choice between $1300 OE front axle, or $80 Chinese aftermarket.
You'd be surprised how many members chosen Chinese. Including top forum contributors

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG Sedan
1,176 Posts
You could say the same thing about the window regulators. It doesn't make sense to buy the genuine mercedes part because it's just going to fail again anyway. So you might as well get the Chinese part. But this only applies to a few parts. Most of the time you don't want to buy the Chinese made part.

·
Registered
2002 E430 Sprt/w W211 wheels
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
You could say the same thing about the window regulators. It doesn't make sense to buy the genuine mercedes part because it's just going to fail again anyway. So you might as well get the Chinese part. But this only applies to a few parts. Most of the time you don't want to buy the Chinese made part.
I agree, some parts like regulator or even motors for windows/sunroof would be better from some Chinese vendors, because OEM MB parts for those are junk. On the other hand, things like O2 sensors, MAF, CPS etc. would have to be Bosch, funny how the main drive train stuff made by Germans is robust, while the plastic trims, electronics for accessories, and other small things throughout the interior are fragile and will break for sure in the life of the vehicle. All electronics still work in my Lexus, but on my MB, sunroof, and rear sunshade motor have given out, but works occasionally when it wants to.

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,362 Posts
These days, "Made in Germany" has very little meaning. Most of the basic components are made in China, Taiwan, Korea, Vietnam, even India. I bought a Bosch Voltage Regulator and it was made in India, some are made in Spain, some are made in France, and maybe with chips from China. It does not take a lot to put a Made In Germany sticker on the box. All it is needed is some portion of it is made, or conceived (design for example) in Germany. Have you even seen a computer chip that says "it is made in Germany" recently ? China can make things as good as anyone else. It is just the quality control is flaky. When you buy a Bosch MAF sensor, you are paying for the design, consistency in quality control, materials, and after production testing.

·
Registered
36,479 Posts
Just becouse it was "Made in Germany" doesn't mean it was manufactured by German people.
Lot of labour in Germany are Turkisch, Polish, Ukrainians.
Our ML320 was German car assembled in Alabama.. mostly by Chinese immigrants and US unions. .

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I honestly don't complain about China stuff, that's what I am used to seeing since I was a kid, every thing said, "Made in China" they keep the costs down and that's why we love places like Walmart, there everything is so cheap because of labor costs internationally. Didn't know some parts are even made in India, but as an Indian I could only feel proud, if it's actually quality stuff, I do wish they sell their products here in America like Mahindra and Tata(they own JLR) vehicles, they are very good these days quality wise but the problem is, because of traffic conditions in India, most are very under powered. We had two 97 Tata Sumo(tough looking SUV inspired from Land Rover/Mitsubishi) in the late 90s and it had a 2.0 diesel that made a whooping 68 Hp with a top speed of 100kmph(62 mph), seemed just fine in those days, but here in America we need big V6s or V8s.

·
Registered
1999 E430; 2005 ML500
1,659 Posts
Just becouse it was "Made in Germany" doesn't mean it was manufactured by German people.
Lot of labour in Germany are Turkisch, Polish, Ukrainians.
Our ML320 was German car assembled in Alabama.. mostly by Chinese immigrants and US unions. .
You are spreading fake news, Kaj. The UAW hasn’t managed to organize the plant yet, and the overwhelming majority of employees are long-time Tuscaloosa-area natives (Meaning, for many, their ancestors were brought over by thug-Brits on slave ships). I can assure you that at least during the W163 days there was no significant Chinese worker population.

·
Registered
36,479 Posts
Didn't know some parts are even made in India, but as an Indian I could only feel proud, if it's actually quality stuff,..
My 2007 W211 made my jaw drop when I found its factory wheels were made in Poland. When I felt proud that "old country folks" got on MB market, I had mixed feelings what to expect.
Poland has good history in metal casting and machining, but years under communistic regime destroy lot of job ethics and now takes a generation to restore it. So Polish wheels turn out to be very good quality and I bought 2nd set for spare.
Than my next W212 come on Czech-made AMG wheels. 3 of 4 wheels had been badly damaged, with couple of deep cracks with no dents, what brought conclusion about flaws in casting.
Made good garden hose reel.
Now who works for Unions in Alabama is political subject and you will not find official statement on it. But people who had been there reported on internet lot of Chinese members. That's all.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
India even has a couple MB plants and never really heard any Indian folks complain about quality issues there so I guess they are not new to MB market. On the other hand folks like you would love the products made/sold there, a bunch of 4 cyl CDIs and diesels as diesel is cheaper there, most of the people in India never got the big V6s and V8, except the AMGs, which very rich people buy, most are happy with the 200s and 220s etc.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts