Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E430 Sprt/w W211 wheels
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I knew that my new(to me) E430 needed A/C recharge as I was told by the PO, lately I am trying to figure out what exactly is wrong with it before buying refrigerant and trying to recharge the system. So I know how much we value the sensor readings and "CODES", so here it goes, my #7 on the climate control always reads 01 no matter the situation, on a cold night, broad daylight, car sitting, running in hot or cold, it's always at 01 and the only code I have is 1416 which is the REST function even though it seems to work, I don't even get the B1241 which is for low refrigerant. But my compressor never comes on because the pressure never increases even when the EC light is off, on my old E430, it even went to 00 at times but when I turned the AC on, it went up quickly and cooled the cabin, but on this one at least if it were to kick in the pressure would go up and give me some cooling even if it was a bit low. So how do I try to get the compressor to come on so I can see how much the #7 value increases assuming it is not completely bad. I am able to spin the outer part of the pulley freely so it's not jammed or anything.

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,362 Posts
You need to put the whole sensor values (1-42) with the engine running and the a/c engaged.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I will try to get the values tomorrow when I drive it, but right now the car is sitting since 4 hours so let me input the values for the current situation.
1 69
2 66
3 76
4 76
5 78
6 100
7 01
8 75
9 27
10 0.0
11 2.4
12 4.3
20 3.2
21 32
22 00
23 00
24 11.7
40 164
41 91
42 72
43 136

·
Registered
1999 E430; 2005 ML500
1,659 Posts
If the pressure is too low, the compressor will not turn on. You need to fix the leak, evacuate and recharge.

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
As initial charge, put a can of refrigerant and see if it gets the compressor turn on. If the compressor does not turn on, reset the code(s), and re-try charging it. Once the compressor starts, put another can with UV dye in it, and determine where the leak is (with UV light and goggles). Once the leak is found, evacuate, fix the leak, vacuum the system, and re-charge with 34 ounces of refrigerant.

Also provide the values with the a/c on, engine running and warmed up. Interesting that the EC light is not on with the a/c running.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,479 Posts
01 refrigerant pressure means you have no refrigerant aka system had big leak.
In this case I would start with vacuum and to see how big the leak really is.

·
Registered
1998 E320s sedan and wagon
991 Posts
With the engine running, does the EC light toggle on an off when you press the EC button? Maybe the LED is bad.

Does the compressor engage? Does the clutch turn with the pulley? Can you turn the clutch by hand (engine OFF!)?

mrboca and kajtek, is the pressure sensor a switch or sender?

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 197K miles

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With the engine running, does the EC light toggle on an off when you press the EC button? Maybe the LED is bad.

Does the compressor engage? Does the clutch turn with the pulley? Can you turn the clutch by hand (engine OFF!)?

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 197K miles
The led is not bad, it does turn on and off, I can easily turn the clutch by hand with engine off. But the compressor won’t turn on with engine on, there are no codes in the system that would lock it from turning on.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
01 refrigerant pressure means you have no refrigerant aka system had big leak.
In this case I would start with vacuum and to see how big the leak really is.
I remember my old E430’s value went down to 00 when Ac was not used for a day or two and jumped up when I turned the Ac on, so maybe that one had a bad pressure sensor? Assuming that situation, this one should turn on as well and the pressure should go up a bit, but the darn thing does not engage. My pressure hot or cold, engine running or not stays at 01, just the #5 value changes with temperature which is the evaporator temp.

·
Registered
1998 E320s sedan and wagon
991 Posts
There’s the miserable task of checking for +12V at the compressor. I learned to do this blindly on the E320. Feel for connector, use small flat blade screwdriver to pry the plug out of the socket. There’s not enough exposed plug to grip and I’m too lazy to lift the car. I was tempted to send a pin into the wire under the washer reservoir to test there.

I read these compressor clutches have an internal fuse that blows in high amperage situations like a seized pulley or shorted clutch. Then you need a new clutch. Maybe b1419 is tripped by an open circuit (which you don’t have). That’s what I remember reading. I don’t know if it’s accurate.

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 197K miles

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,729 Posts
I remember my old E430’s value went down to 00 when Ac was not used for a day or two and jumped up when I turned the Ac on, so maybe that one had a bad pressure sensor? Assuming that situation, this one should turn on as well and the pressure should go up a bit, but the darn thing does not engage. My pressure hot or cold, engine running or not stays at 01, just the #5 value changes with temperature which is the evaporator temp.
The compressor will not turn on if pressure is too low. Check if there is any refrigerant in the system at the low pressure schrader valve (wear goggles).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The compressor will not turn on if pressure is too low. Check if there is any refrigerant in the system at the low pressure schrader valve (wear goggles).
Can I do that by pushing the valve like valve in tire? I don’t have an Ac gauge.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,729 Posts
Yes........best not to use finger though

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, will report back once I do so. So if it doesn’t have pressure, there should be almost nothing coming out? And it there is and something else is wrong, it should blast air/refrigerant out?

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 197K miles
The pressure gauge fault usually is detected and reported in the list.

I do not believe that the PO's statement saying that" the old car had 00 bar, and then when the a/c is turned on with the engine running it went up". Zero bar means no or very little refrigerant to start the compressor. If the system is properly filled, at static conditions it would have about 4 bars of static pressure at 60 degrees F ambient and 5 bars at 75 deg F.

The center hub (that you can turn with a 10 mm socket) should turn few turns, then it gets harder to turn. If it turns freely, then the compressor may be bad. That is why it is a good idea to check for the compressor with some refrigerant to see if it engages, and the clutch actually engages mechanically. Electrical issues with the coil of the clutch are reported as a fault code.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The pressure gauge fault usually is detected and reported in the list.

I do not believe that the PO's statement saying that" the old car had 00 bar, and then when the a/c is turned on with the engine running it went up". Zero bar means no or very little refrigerant to start the compressor. If the system is properly filled, at static conditions it would have about 4 bars of static pressure at 60 degrees F ambient and 5 bars at 75 deg F.

The center hub (that you can turn with a 10 mm socket) should turn few turns, then it gets harder to turn. If it turns freely, then the compressor may be bad. That is why it is a good idea to check for the compressor with some refrigerant to see if it engages, and the clutch actually engages mechanically. Electrical issues with the coil of the clutch are reported as a fault code.
Ok, so I just tried pushing the low pressure side valve and I was getting strong pressure coming out of there, so the system must not be empty or empty enough to not turn the compressor on, center hub is not that free but I can spin it by hand with some force. It does not seem to get stiffer, it spins around with the same force applied, it's not that loose but still spins with some force. Also that 00 bar statement was mine, my old E430's pressure went to 00 in the climate control display and quickly went up as the AC turned on it got pretty cold, but that car is long gone.

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
Ok, so I just tried pushing the low pressure side valve and I was getting strong pressure coming out of there, so the system must not be empty or empty enough to not turn the compressor on, center hub is not that free but I can spin it by hand with some force. It does not seem to get stiffer, it spins around with the same force applied, it's not that loose but still spins with some force. Also that 00 bar statement was mine, my old E430's pressure went to 00 in the climate control display and quickly went up as the AC turned on it got pretty cold, but that car is long gone.
Get a gauge and measure the low pressure side. Do not always rely on the pressure sensor of the climate control system.

If you had 00 pressure reading, and the compressor starts, either the gauge is bad and the climate controller is programmed to ignore it, or something else was going on.

If there is an electrical problem with the gauge itself (like broken wire) the sensor reading would be something like EE. or --.

You need a manifold gauge to fill the refrigerant anyway. You can measure the low side under static conditions (key out).

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,479 Posts
Can I do that by pushing the valve like valve in tire? I don’t have an Ac gauge.
Yes, you do >>> #7 sensor.
Since you have some leftover refrigerant, it might be worth putting 1 can of r134 in the system.
1 can is marginal, so compressor might not start, but at least you will be able to observe how the pressure holds.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Yes, you do >>> #7 sensor.
Since you have some leftover refrigerant, it might be worth putting 1 can of r134 in the system.
1 can is marginal, so compressor might not start, but at least you will be able to observe how the pressure holds.
Get the one with just the dye in it. Don't get the one with oil added.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't have left over refrigerant but can get one from Walmart, the one with an hose attached, so that way I can also get the pressure in the system... Will try to do so today and report back.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts