Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie to this forum and was not able to find anything in search regarding this basic A/C question.

Just bought a used '99 C230 and the A/C does not seem to be working. I didn't get a manual with the car so here is the dumb question;

Should the EC light be on for the A/C to be on or is it the reverse??? Makes no difference as the A/C does not work so I'm just trying to understand the German engineering as this is my first MB. Also, the switch below the EC switch does not light up so i am guessing that this is also tied to the A/C???

Any basic info on how the A/C opperates would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
The EC light is on because the system is low on refrigerant and its protecting the compressor.

EC Means Economy and it disables the A/C compressor... in these cars the A/C is on all the time unless you turn it off manually.

The Recirc button under the EC will not come on if the system is in EC (this is to prevent fogging of the interior glass due to high humidity.)

Have your system pressure tested to find leaks, fix them and have it filled and you should be good

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought. Thanks for the quick response as I was assuming that the refridgerant was low and thus not allowing the compressor to kick on. Just wanted some confirmation before I go to the shop for A/C service. Hopefully that is all that is required.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
If your going to recharge it yourself I would suggest some leak/dye detector in case you have a bad hose, etc. Might save you time. B

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
My EC light comes on periodically, especially when I AM driving slowly or idling.
The AC system is charged properly but pressure is on the high side. The cooling is fine when I am cruising. Only cuts off in heavy or slow moving traffic. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I am thinking you may possibly have a restriction in the lines somewhere, if you have abnormally high High side pressure reading.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts