Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1992 300E 2.6
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have an oddity with the car, whenever the A/C compressor is engaged there is an audible whine. The whine is not high-pitched, it almost sounds like a power steering pump that is letting go. No issues with cooling, or other symptoms of anything.

I am sure it is the compressor since I put my ear to it via a doodad to eliminate the power steering pump

I have a video, it will be forthcoming.

Wondering if anyone else has had this happen and what, if anything, was wrong.

·
Registered
1992 300E 2.6
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here’s the video, nothing to see but listen to the whole thing. Use the YouTube link, the preview does not have sound for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
W124
5,173 Posts
When was the last replacement of the compressor? Its possible it is just at the end of life. If you can eliminate all other accessory drive assemblies then its a 2 hour job replacing the compressor. It is an easier job to replace it before it seizes or chucks metal into the system. If you wait too long, an extensive flushing process will be needed to rid the system of metal that might otherwise destroy the new compressor if left in.

·
Registered
1992 300E 2.6
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When was the last replacement of the compressor? Its possible it is just at the end of life. If you can eliminate all other accessory drive assemblies then its a 2 hour job replacing the compressor. It is an easier job to replace it before it seizes or chucks metal into the system. If you wait too long, an extensive flushing process will be needed to rid the system of metal that might otherwise destroy the new compressor if left in.
It’s the original compressor so far as I can tell, ~217k on it. Car was originally R134A so far as I can tell.

I’ll have to price the work and parts, I really hate to have to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
W124
5,173 Posts
I did this job on my 500E last Summer. Its a worse job on the V8s than it is on the inline The price of a new compressor isn't too bad either at less than $300. You should replace the receiver/dryer at the same time and that is cheap. Honestly, if the high and low pressure switches are original you should replace them too. The whole job will be less than $350 if you do it yourself and the A/C will be awesome (and much quieter)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts