Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 98 E320 A/C compressor starts leaking oil and my mechanic told me it's about time to get a new one. It's still working reasonably well now, I can get evaporator temp as low as 2C in a 85 F day and the refrigerant pressure seems to be in the normal range too.. Before it's completely going south (freezing up), is there any symptom or warning sign?

I would like to know how hard is it to replace the A/C Compressor myself? Other than depressurized the system, what other procedures are involved before taking off the compressor??

My mechanic said he will charge me somewhere in the $200 range to replace and recharge the system (provide that I can get a compressor myself). Is the price reasonable?? I found a Denso compressor (Reman) for $359 somewhere on the web..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bob.. Did you replace it yourself? If so, how hard and what procedures are involved??

Sky_Line

·
Registered
1998 E320
171 Posts
Sky_Line said:
Thanks Bob.. Did you replace it yourself? If so, how hard and what procedures are involved??

Sky_Line
NO! Not me. Had a friend at STS do it. All I can tell you is that you must replace the A/C drier and its hose at the same time. All compressors' warranties are dependant on that and a complete system flush.

Sorry I ain't more mechanical :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts