Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 slk-250
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
First off, I would like to send out a HUGE "Thank You" to all on this forum. You have helped me out so many times, I can't count.
My 99 C280 sport compressor clutch won't engage, checked r134 level, off the rail just right of the powerpacks, it was crazy HIGH, so I ran the diagnostic, and code 416 came up, coolant circulation pump. Ok, I understand that, 250,000 miles, may be time for a change, still not running hot, or anything like that, but, can the water pump fault code affect the compressor clutch? I love this car, and really want to keep it, but I cannot justify pouring a ton of money into it if this is going to lead to other problems.
Thanks in advance for any info, I really do apprieciate all the info posted here.

Todd Jones

·
Registered
880 Posts
I think there's a second pump (not sure) for the heater system, which is probably the pump they are referring to.

If you're not overheating or running hot, your water pump is probably OK.

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor Special Edition
1,173 Posts
Water pump has no sender to send a code. The only electrical pump is the secondary water pump. Look for the pump online and consider doing the work yourself. You will need to drain and refill.

·
Registered
2013 slk-250
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Thanks for the info, gonna order secondary water pump tomorrow. Had no idea there was a secondary water pump, and thought it strange that a regular water pump could have some type of electrical sender. Already ordered regular water pump, so may just replace that too since I'll have it. Any insight as to the location of the secondary water pump? I AM going to do this my self, and have not been able to find a repair manual in stores.

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor Special Edition
1,173 Posts
Water pump is well worth it if it's never been done. Make sure you keep your bolts straight! I used the gasket to make a template on a piece of cardboard, poked holes with a pencil, and them put each bolt in the appropriate screw while I r&r'd. When you drain the radiator there is still plenty of coolant in the block (trust me, I know). I broke a clamp, but I was close to the dealership and they gave me one for free!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts