Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E55
70 Posts
I saw a black ML350 yesterday at the dealership. It was a demo/display weekend, and it has no price listed. Overall the interior is significantly better than the current ML( I have a 2001 ML320) and the exterior is quite nice on the first impression. The rear cargo area seems a little smaller than current ML but I will wait to see the final spec. The disappointment is the front bumper/nose area. It is all damn cheap plastic! The front grill and the air intakes(on bumper) are all cheap, flimsy plastic. The fog lights are seated in a psuedo-grill plastic. It looks cheap for $40K+ SUV. Mercedes should use black wire mesh instead. The CLS500 next to the ML350 has the cheap plastic grill also, and it was sticker at $71K.

I hope the future AMG version will have a more attractive bumper. Overall it is improved cosmetically, and I can't wait to drive one in the near future.

John

·
Registered
2014 ML350 BlueTec
2,626 Posts
Thanks Brent for the pic's........When l finally had a chance to see the W164 at the Detriot Auto Show, then again at the Toronto International car show..l pretty much made my mind up, as to what l was going to do...l purchased a 2002 ML 55, with 66,000 KM's, in the Bordeaux color, and l "LOVE IT"....The fit and finish is much nicer than my 1999 ML 430, a much more solid vehicle....l have to be honest, the W164 was a little disappointing....[:(]

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
586 Posts
i'm liking the front more and more but the back still does nothing for me, I'm thinking its because of the tail lights

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheap filmsy plastic? That sounds a little too much like pre-DC Chrysler to me. However, with this "New Mercedes" agenda DC is current pushing and the recent budget cuts, I'm not doubting that Mercedes wouldn't do this.

Don't worry though, I'm sure after two to three years of W164 ML sales, when it comes time to freshen up the appearance, this cheap plastic will be the first thing to go (probably due to customer complaints).

The 3/4 view from the rear makes the ML look like a sports wagon. Does it bother anyone else knowing that the rear of this vehicle is the exact same as the X164 (the new "longer, beefier ML" G-class)?

Here's the rest of the G-class spy pics:

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,995 Posts
The disappointment is the front bumper/nose area. It is all damn cheap plastic! The front grill and the air intakes(on bumper) are all cheap, flimsy plastic. The fog lights are seated in a psuedo-grill plastic. It looks cheap for $40K+ SUV. Mercedes should use black wire mesh instead. The CLS500 next to the ML350 has the cheap plastic grill also, and it was sticker at $71K.
There is a reason for this, but it has nothing to do with being “cheap�. It has everything to do with safety. Metal or even thick plastic front-end components are more dangerous for both your vehicle’s occupants and the occupants of a vehicle with which you are colliding. Seemingly cheap and flimsy materials are much better at absorbing energy and breaking-away instead of transferring energy into the cockpit.

- RODNEY

1 - 6 of 6 Posts