Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560SL
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit pissed today. my new employer paid for my relocation from UT to PA. I've been living at the Marriott for the last two weeks, and moved into the company owned house this weekend. The Marriott had a parking garage that I was able to utilize to store the 107. I was told that the company house had a 3 car garage in the back, and that I could use one of the bays to store my car until I secured a more perm arrangement.

After arriving to the house, I called the head of HR at his home to let him know that the key to the garage was missing from the keys he had handed to me. I told me that he'd have a copy for me this morning.

I arrive to work this morning, expecting to get a copy of the key, only to find out that he wasn't authorized to let me use the garage, and that someone else is storing something in it.

I now have to locate a lock n store in the area that will allow me to park the 107 for the winter at a decent price.

I did let the head of HR know that this was in his offer letter to me, and that this will wind up costing them instead of me...as the offer letter is a contract.

Oh, this isn't the only thing that was promised that has yet to happen...I was also told that I would have in my hand, a signing bonus check on the 18th of this month. I was told on the 18th, that someone had made a mistake and that the information didn't make it to finance last week before they cut the checks for the week. I was told, again in writing, that the new delivery date for the check will be this Wednesday.

If this check doesn't see my hand by the end of business on Wednesday, I will be considering a visit to an attorney. I know that employment can be a bit difficult to come by nowadays, but out right lying to a person is just wrong. We'll see how the end of this week goes.

Other than those issues, I'm enjoying the hell out of my new job. I'm heading up a rather large project that could net the company a sizeable amount of work in the future. My coworkers are by far the greatest group of people I've worked with in a number of years.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
...I know that employment can be a bit difficult to come by nowadays...
It sounds like you work for a corporation of some size. I have recently left one that had 80,000 employees world-wide. They were always doing shit like what you reported concerning your check, and to people who could least afford it.

Take a moment to cool down... Like the HR guy who didn't have authority to grant you the permission on the garage, its not always someone lying that causes snafus like you have experienced, but some one else in the food chain who could give a damn and couldn't care less. Place-holders, I call them.

Corporations are all about cut and chase... Cut to the bone and Chase away the good ones.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,390 Posts
jp

Don't attribute to ill-will what can be explained by incompetence.

The job sounds great otherwise.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
Usually the folks in HR are modified clerks who go by a set of rules handed down to them, don't get your shorts in a bunch with them, there just doing as their told. Things will work out. I also used to work at a large 30k + company, give it a little time.

·
Registered
1987 560SL
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like you work for a corporation of some size. I have recently left one that had 80,000 employees world-wide. They were always doing shit like what you reported concerning your check, and to people who could least afford it.

Take a moment to cool down... Like the HR guy who didn't have authority to grant you the permission on the garage, its not always someone lying that causes snafus like you have experienced, but some one else in the food chain who could give a damn and couldn't care less. Place-holders, I call them.

Corporations are all about cut and chase... Cut to the bone and Chase away the good ones.

Good Luck
It's a multi-national corporation specializing in metal stamping. We have 6 facilities in 4 states, 3 in Mexico, one in Costa Rico, and another in Brazil.

My last move, from OH to UT went better than this one did.

jp

Don't attribute to ill-will what can be explained by incompetence.

The job sounds great otherwise.
It's a great job, with semi-decent benefits. I opted out of the health care coverage due to the outstanding coverage my wife receives through her employer.

I have to look at it this way...My last move, from OH to UT went VERY well, and the company followed through with everything they promised, flawlessly...then I was laid off after 18 months. This move has been a pain in the rump, with Murphy leading the whole thing. Anything that could go wrong, did...from the Uhaul breaking down in WY and having to have a replacement delivered to me, to my current issues. Considering how things went last time, this should be a job I should have for the rest of my life!! LOL

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,428 Posts
I think I will just step away from this thread now:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 SLK350, 91 300SL with Pano Top, 04 S500, 2015 Tesla Model S
2,086 Posts
Wise move John. Have a beer and a steak and contemplate the beauty of Samson.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,987 Posts
My wife works for a very large defense contractor with revenues over $5 Billion annually. The company regularly sends employees on out-of-town trips, the costs of which the employee must front using their personal financial resources (not a company credit card). Air fare, rental cars, and major city hotels for a week don't come cheap.

On return, the company hassles them about the smallest matters. For instance, my wife went out of town 4 weeks ago (for a week), and took a particular flight because the senior government official heading the office where she works wanted the entire group to fly together on the outbound trip (for good reason, to be able to handle certain necessary matters immediately upon arrival). Had she traveled alone, she could have saved $10 by taking a different flight.

Her company has held up reimbursement of the entire amount of her travel, running her around to get documentation and justification for the extra $10, from folks who do not work for her firm. In the meantime, she has had to front the costs of yet another trip, before being reimbursed for the first - so $4000 of her money for the 2 trips has been tied up. She finally got the travel claim approved today, but it required several hours - and she ordinarily and routinely works 16 to 18 hour days for the government client, plus many weekends for the company. That in itself is abusive, but then the travel reimbursement business just rubs salt into the wounds.

We don't even have to get into whether anyone is lying or incompetent. It is an idiotic company policy; their attitude does in fact cost them the services of good people.

·
Registered
1987 560SL (L.Tonk) [92,700 miles]
340 Posts
Small companies have their own foibles... we found out 2 months into my stint in London that I hadn't been authorised to work in the UK yet, and had been working illegally the whole time. I guess not knowing was the key to getting past UK immigration on four separate occasions. They got it fixed up pretty quickly once we found out, but that could have resulted in some pretty serious consequences had I been caught out.

When I recently quit the company, they asked me to front the $30k in foreign tax credits still pending from the IRS. That had me laughing for days... Still, all in all 8 years of good experiences with them.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,481 Posts
Smile JP. There is a BLIZZARD warning in Utah right where you used to live.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
The company regularly sends employees on out-of-town trips, the costs of which the employee must front using their personal financial resources (not a company credit card). Air fare, rental cars, and major city hotels for a week don't come cheap.
My company does the same thing, then they take 3 weeks to reimburse after the trip. One time I was close to missing my flight due to traffic, and I parked <insert gasp of shock and horror here> at the airport, so I could make my flight. It cost <insert second gasp of shock and horror here> $3 per day more than the parking garage, for a total of $18 more. That reimbursement took nearly seven weeks, and I only finally got it when I did because I also submitted for interest reimbursement on my travel card. And they docked me the $18.

But, this is the only company I've ever worked for that still does per diem for meals, so I don't complain too much. I never spend even half what they allow daily for meals.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
I remember one trip in the 80s when the company sent me on a trip and told me to get reciepts for meals and expenses. A large group of us went out to dinner a Benny-Hanna's and when I asked for a reciept they gave me one for the whole table. I can still hear my supervisor screamming out my name!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,987 Posts
The company my wife works for is headed by a high school classmate of mine (he is CEO and Chairman of the Board). He took home over $3 mil in salary last year, according to its recent IPO.

I haven't seen him since H.S., but sometimes I'd like to talk to him about some of the management practices - in a firm that among other things, does consulting on management practices - especially the hassle they create for some pretty highly skilled employees who do not appreciate them.

·
Registered
'77 - 280E / '76 - 450SLC
44 Posts
My company, over the past 22 years, has only dinged me on one ER. That was for a few beers I bought for some other engineers and I at a dinner at a convention. Unwritten, but fairly applied, the "rule" is "no alcohol on ERs."

I've lived with that...otherwise, I front the money, they pay me back within 3-4 days (ER in on Monday or by noon on Tuesday (at the latest), you get a Friday-dated check on Thursday). I've had no problem depositing/cashing the check on Thursday and playing with my own money that night.

Company provided vehicle...I keep track of "personal miles" driven, and I'm "taxed" on that by the amount of PMs driven at $05.5/mile. The "total" is what is taxed and that total is included in my bi-weekly salary as part of the "pay" for that period...therefore, taxed like my salary. Anything that I have to buy (gas/oil/tires/repairs while on the road) are reimbursed through the ER method. (100%)

I only have myself to blame if I don't get the ER in on time and then the clock starts ticking again until the next 2-week period ends. THEN, I get my act back in gear and re-submit the old ER along with the new one.

Last year, there was a period of one $3K check, two $4K checks (back to back) and a final $2K check. No interest/user fee assessed... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,169 Posts
My company, over the past 22 years, has only dinged me on one ER. That was for a few beers I bought for some other engineers and I at a dinner at a convention. Unwritten, but fairly applied, the "rule" is "no alcohol on ERs."
That's one of the basic policies for many organizations, ours included.

My boss and I have worked for our organization almost 30 yrs. She is now its Executive director, and is responsible for insuring these policies are followed.

I was just commenting yesterday to a fellow employee that though she would certainly deny it, all the tricks I've learned about getting around those policies came from her. :thumbsup:

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,987 Posts
OK, another true story, since you mentioned getting around policies.

The U.S. government issues travel cards (credit cards) to folks for military and civilian travel expenses. There are rules, of course, on what are legitimate expenses; it cannot be used as a "personal" credit card. The card holder is responsible for all the charges, and the charges run up are to be paid on time (whether reimbursement has been paid or not). However, to prevent improper use, the charges on the card are reviewed (over and above the travel voucher that must be filed).

My wife was an Air Force squadron commander some years ago. Her First Sergeant brought in a young Airman to explain his use of his card during an official trip to Nevada. He had charged over $100 for "services" at the Mustang Ranch or some such place.

Extremely red in the face, he informed my wife that he didn't mean to do anything wrong; the "services" were legal, and he had not violated any law.

Trying hard to keep a straight face, my wife counseled the young Airman on proper and allowable uses of the travel card. He acknowledged the counseling, saluted, and turned to leave. My wife heard the First Shirt whisper to him, as they exited, "Next time, take a cash withdrawal from an ATM. No one will know."

Avoiding gales of laughter until the door closed was sheer torture, she said.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts