Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like we have a participant from MB-USA on the forum. I have serious doubts that it will do any good (see his response to me about support for pre-MBUSA G's), but this might be a chance to pass along some opinions or comments to someone in the Montvale, NJ office.

As an aside, if you're discussing pirated literature or software, you'd best play your cards close to the vest.

·
Registered
2016 G550 & 2016 350 GLE
705 Posts
Hey Dutch! Maybe someone should tell him he's too late. The G is doomed. Its kinda late to be looking for fixes to their problems now. Surely he does not own a Gwagen! [:D][:D]If he does he better hope its not an 02![:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Just to help with other people...this "guru" is participating in this thread:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=188608&posts=19&fid=30

It took me awhile to find out who this guy was....[xx(]

·
Registered
2005 g500
316 Posts
yeah, he seems somewhat less than helpful. really makes me feel great to own a mercedes-benz product knowing that the company is fully represented by quality people like that.

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
I'm a bit surprised by this thread and the stance others are taking. My $.02 - this is childish. I for one would appreciate a contact @ corporate. At the very least a he/she could be a sounding board for our ideas. Keep in mind STARxxx_GURU probably isn't the CEO of MBUSA NJ. Just b/c we surmise he works for MBUSA doesn't mean he has the authority to fix our pre/post US model G issues.

If he can yield some useful info - great. If he tries to support DC in every decision they have made in the last several years he better be a great negotiator. We have complaints - they are numerous and they are real. At the very least it will be an interesting conversation. Maybe both sides will learn something.

Be childish about it will yield nothing. Post often and be respectful to both sides. Hopefully somebody @ corporate will show they care about the G and a once great company.

I have a hunch that MBUSA in NJ has started to wise up to the destruction of the brand the last decade+ and is hopefully working to fix it. I hope my hunch becomes a reality.

Dave
1966 230S (111.010) - father original owner
2002 G500 (463)

·
Registered
2000 G300 TD
466 Posts
Perhaps someone should just take a note of all the relevant links in this forum and from as wide a range as users as possible and just forward it to someone in authority at MB who can just follow it themselves. Better yet send it to their head of marketing...

I somehow doubt this guy on the fourms is in any real position to help or has a real need to care... he's a tech writer.

A friend had his transmission go on a TT with less than 30,000 miles. It wasn't covered by the warranty so he simply said to Audi UK. "It will make a great headline in the press. £30,000 only lasts 30,000 miles..." They fixed it.

I think the best way to get action is threaten them with bad press. If they think their sales will suffer greatly they will listen.....

·
Registered
2016 G550 & 2016 350 GLE
705 Posts
I find it very disturbing that a guy can own Mbenz for over 30 years, and have his latest addition spend more trips to the shop than did his previous 2 models did during the entire 30+ years of service. Plus to boot, the problems are not fixed by Mbenz on the latest model. Talk about causing a guy to get a little perturbed!!!!![:(!][:(!]We have become too complacent in our tolerance of the new generation of money grabbing CEO's. Make the junk and shove it out the door! Thats their motto.[:D][:D]I should change my Forum name to "Duppedtothetuneof80Gs"[}:)][}:)]

·
Registered
exgowner
126 Posts
keep in mind that new cars are more complex. i can list 8 control modules in my wife's jetta before even getting to the engine control modules.
older cars are pretty simple, especially with carbs.
look at k-jetronic injection. those things will work even after your wife went at it with a screwdriver. get the tiniest bit of anything on a maf and the car runs like crap. think about it, the g is a perfect example of something that was PERFECT, and then they changed it into yet another status symbol. same as land rover, for christs sake they dont even make a mass marketed vehicle with solid axles anymore! the money grubbing ceo's you refer to are just letting their marketing people listen to poular demand and design a product that matches. so if you think it is crap, then you need to understand why it is crap.
as far as i am concerned the g was made for people like me and a handful of us, that are willing to take it through 5 feet of mud and crawl through the mountains. then it was redesigned for rich snobs, and in the process lost it's FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION. the function of a vehicle is to convey you from point a to point b, no matter what the obstacle is. somehow, abs, traction control, electronic push buttons, cup holders, and basically anything else that coddles the driver and aids in their inability to properly drive a vehicle, got in the way of the function or better yet became more important than function.
don't be pissed off at the company, be pissed off about the reason why the product is crap in your eyes,in our case it is the consumer.

·
Registered
G 500, 55K
486 Posts
I hate to disagee, but....

I did not buy an '02 G500 to:

be different from the neighbors
be a snob
ride over velvety smooth roads

I bought an '02 G500 to:

because I NEED a vehicle that can routinely (5 to 10 times a year) navigate in more than 18 inches of snow

because I am tired of four rims every year being replaced at close to $2200

because MBUSA now is behind the service of the vehicle

Well, up until about 12,500 miles ago my last reason was a joke. It is clear to me that the dealer network and the home office in the US were ill prepared in a way MB never has been in the previous decades of MB ownership. Never have I experienced such poor dealer service. I attribute this to dealer frustration with the product and the inability to service this combined with absolutely lousy parts sourcing (I will not repeat the littany as even I am bored by it). But I agree we need to ALWAYS engage in civil discourse. I believe that MB should seek out all G500 owners who had more than 2 Visit Workshop warnings in between any FSS scheduled maintenance and offer these "abused" owners something special as a Marketing/PR matter. It could be a loyalty program, with a hefty coupon based rebate on their next MB product to show that they really do want to change their image and acknowledge the shocking reality that was many owner's MBUSA G500 experience. I also believe that Dutch is right on the money. This vehicle is a famous landmark vehicle with a pedigree unlike any other MB product. It should be supported in any and all ways possible including a factory sponsored club that has a dues component that owners can pay into to support information tranfer. I will be keeping my G's because I bought them for a specific reason and I have gotten them to be "MB" like in behaviour. I will one day ten years from now still be on this board with the same vehicles. MB should support people like me and you because we are the bes advertisement they could ever have. And I would be thrilled to recommend an MB product to a friend again when the company corrects what can only be described as a "troubled" couple of years. I truly wish to help them do so as I believe in the safety and engineering of the products I own. Let's help MB fix their customer service by providing simple,easy answers and continually try to improve the area that most needs improvement.

And by the way the word snob and the Bronx have never been used in the same sentence.

·
Registered
exgowner
126 Posts
MarcO - 2/23/2005 1:56 PM
I hate to disagee, but....
I did not buy an '02 G500 to:
be different from the neighbors
be a snob
ride over velvety smooth roads
I bought an '02 G500 to:
because I NEED a vehicle that can routinely (5 to 10 times a year) navigate in more than 18 inches of snow
And by the way the word snob and the Bronx have never been used in the same sentence.
i know, i grew up in jersey, but the words get that jersey punk, have been used[:D]

let me explain what i mean when i say snob, but if you live near the dc area you already know what i mean. people who buy things for the sake of owning something that has an expensive label on it.
not you.
auto companies listen to their marketing people who listen to the mass consumer. and whether you like it or not the mass consumer for these vehicles are people who can afford to drop 80 to 90k on a vehicle to add to the stable, not the people like us that are wheeling these things and maintaining them ourselves.

·
Registered
2016 G550 & 2016 350 GLE
705 Posts
RE: Unneeded Stufffff!

I worked for a company that thought that the elctronic quality controls was the way to go. Designed to catch every minuted flaw in the product and then reject it. After 30+ years of increased electronics a smart older employee suggested they turn it off and see what the difference was....there was a difference....Over $30 million saved in waste and no one was the wiser to the product changes. UHHH now tell me about electronics...DUH![:(!]

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Well, i bought the G-wagen because of it's awesome off-roading ability, uniqueness, and comfort features. There's no other SUV in the world that has this combination...not even close to it.

As much as i fear electronic troubles, I DO WANT ABS, traction control, stability control, etc.. I want a modern vehicle with safety features.

I have a little over 15,000 miles. I have two minor problems. My tranmission cooler is defective (leaking tranny oil) and is being replaced promptly next Monday. The other problem is the steering vibration...so, i am having MB look at the steering damper.

So, unlike a few of you, i would NOT buy a car/SUV without stability control, ABS, etc.. So, i do appreciate that MB has put these electronic nannies into my G-wagen. I am just hoping that they have done a good job.[:)]

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
Saigon, report back if it's the steering damper. I'm starting to speculate that on many trucks with the 18" rims we're looking at a 10-20k miles replacement interval for conservative (or perhaps i should say liberal) folk.

P.S. you forgot to mention the ETS system [:eek:)]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts