Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Benz W123/ 230 CE
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, folks.
I've recently bought a set of 9x16, et11 Enkei rims for my 280CE. These wheels are the way perfect for my taste, so i want to fit them to my car at any circumstances:bowdown:

I tried them on yesterday:

and noticed that suspension components (specifically the ring rubber) slightly touches the front wheel:

Anybody would say "try spacers", but keeping in mind, that the car is going to be lowered soon, i am affraid, et11 rims + spacers can damage my front arches, even though, these are rolled.

Are there any ideas?
By the way, does anybody except me run 9' wide rims in the front?

·
Super Moderator
85 Audi Coupe Quattro, 85 Audi Coupe GT, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,250 Posts
The rear will butterfly in lowered but the front will require 55 series tires and say a 205-215 width to not chew off the outside. On my 2 1/2' drop I run 50 series on 15 x 7 R9's and never rub. On the front wheels, have checked to see if they hit the tierod at full lock?

·
Registered
Benz W123/ 230 CE
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
the front will require 55 series tires and say a 205-215 width to not chew off the outside.
..have checked to see if they hit the tierod at full lock?

Regarding tires, the front end drop will be 2.7', so i am thinking about the similar size as you suggested - 205/45.

Talking about full lock, - ne i haven't yet...

·
Super Moderator
85 Audi Coupe Quattro, 85 Audi Coupe GT, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,250 Posts
VIP stretch on those front tires :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1983 300D
1,248 Posts
If you are talking about a slight rub on the tie rod joint, then I would use a couple of high strength washers as a spacer on the tie rod arm that mounts on the steering knuckle. Basically remove the two bolts, place the washers in between the arm and steering knuckle. Just make certain the bolts you are using are long enough to make it through all the threads on the knuckle.
That should clear the tie rod joint to the wheel. You'll need to get a complete alignment after your done with the work you plan to do.

With that said, I would then make it a routine inspection to make sure the bolts are properly torqued down after doing such modification.

·
Registered
Benz W123/ 230 CE
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Not a bad idea:thumbsup: Thanks.
Anyway, i'll try to make it and post the pics after the paintjob on september.

If you are talking about a slight rub on the tie rod joint, then I would use a couple of high strength washers as a spacer on the tie rod arm that mounts on the steering knuckle. Basically remove the two bolts, place the washers in between the arm and steering knuckle. Just make certain the bolts you are using are long enough to make it through all the threads on the knuckle.
That should clear the tie rod joint to the wheel. You'll need to get a complete alignment after your done with the work you plan to do.

With that said, I would then make it a routine inspection to make sure the bolts are properly torqued down after doing such modification.

·
Super Moderator
18,250 Posts
You should really use hubcentric type spacers. Those will shift around in few months.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
And make sure the lug bolts are the correct type. I see conical seat lug bolts beside the spacers, are the wheels on the car using conical seat lug bolts also?

Just making sure, because the stock W123 lug bolts use ball seats. Nice wheels by the way.

·
Registered
Benz W123/ 230 CE
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nutz 4 Benz,
If these gona shift, i'll definatelly replace them with hubcentric ones.

MBeige,
Thanks. Actually, i just used the bolts, which i got with the rims...what kind of problem can i face with, in case these bolts aren't the right choice?

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Nutz 4 Benz,
If these gona shift, i'll definatelly replace them with hubcentric ones.

MBeige,
Thanks. Actually, i just used the bolts, which i got with the rims...what kind of problem can i face with, in case these bolts aren't the right choice?
If you use conical bolts on a ball seat wheel, the cone shape will not match perfectly on the ball seat. This means, less surface is in contact with the wheel, and you'll get more stress points due to the small contact patches between the two.

I would think a conical lug bolt has a better chance of holding on to a ball seat, than a ball seat lug bolt holding on to a conical seat wheel. With the incorrect spacers, the wheel could slide around the hub. Not safe!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts