Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you guys think. How much should it go for? How much can I switch parts back and forth to troubleshoot mine (not cannabilizing either, of course)? 90 min. drive is "local" for me so I will probably go regardless. If it goes cheap enough for what it is I might get it. At a "local" auction it could be anywhere, 3K to 20K. I could possibly get it for someone else if it went over what I would pay and under what they would. It will probably have to go low for me because I have one and its significantly different than mine.

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=1003501&kwd=mercedes&zip=43787&category=0]

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 SL500, 2004 CLK500, 2006 Cadillac SRX
873 Posts
My guess is that it will go for less than Kelly blue book trade-in as it is green which is the least desirable color and it has high miles - probably between $7 & 9K.

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My guess is that it will go for less than Kelly blue book trade-in as it is green which is the least desirable color and it has high miles - probably between $7 & 9K.
That may be a good insight. Ordinary people may put alot on blue book price. A factor some may not be used to is that MBs often go very low around here being a farming and redneck area. I once got a flawless, beautiful 15 yr old 190E for 850.00 at a local auction. Older 4 doors usually go for less than 1000.00 even if they are clean.
They do seem to like older SLs. I saw a 78 (something like that) go for about 12 K (32K miles) at local auction near a university. I've never seen an R129 at a local auction. Yes, I'm guessing 7-9K also, but I have no idea. If something is mechanically wrong 2-3K would not surprise me because people around here are scared to death to work on them. If its immaculate 7K might still be my limit because I'm low on cash and I dont really need it that bad. I don't know if I would do 7K or not.

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts
If its immaculate 7K might still be my limit because I'm low on cash and I dont really need it that bad. I don't know if I would do 7K or not.
Dave, assuming she checks out to be in overall excellent condition, 7K is a fantastic deal IMO considering in the factory Xenon projectors as well. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
95 sl500, AMG - F/R Brakes, Exhaust, Wheels. RennTech - ECU, CF Airbox. H&R Sport Springs. K&N
1,028 Posts
Ill buy the seat cushions if they are in good shape.. If u are getting it for a parts car.

Ken Lose the headlight wipers already ;)

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,118 Posts
Alchemy, your car is '95 and that car is '99, so as far as switching parts the engine related stuffs are different.

·
Premium Member
1991 560SEC / 2013 GL550
1,391 Posts
Yeah I'd honestly just buy the 99 and keep it :p Looks like it's a good car. I'd say it's worth between $8k and $14k, depending on condition, records, etc.

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She is green and has high miles indeed but... is the true love of my life. LOL. :rolleyes: :D
Looks like it might be a lighter green than our emerald but I was considering that it would be nice to have 2 that could switch body parts if needed, if they were the same.

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As for green being a bad color , of course I'm bias now, but remembering back to when I bought mine, I liked it's looks right off and it was the first green one I looked at. Now I really dont like other colors as well as mine so it may just be the color you have grown with and makes you dislike the others. People are always commenting on my car and many say they like the color. The white top looks weird, mine's black like Kens.

·
Registered
1999 SL500, 2004 CLK500, 2006 Cadillac SRX
873 Posts
She is green and has high miles indeed but... is the true love of my life. LOL. :rolleyes: :D

To NEOKEN, Alchemy and all who have a green car, I meant no harm or insult. I have nothing against a green car, in fact when I was in the market for a Q45, it was my FIRST choice, but a silver one came along before I could close the deal on a green one. My quote on green cars was a common statistical fact I've seen on car sales and personal opinion poles. My apologies!

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts
To NEOKEN, Alchemy and all who have a green car, I meant no harm or insult. I have nothing against a green car, in fact when I was in the market for a Q45, it was my FIRST choice, but a silver one came along before I could close the deal on a green one. My quote on green cars was a common statistical fact I've seen on car sales and personal opinion poles. My apologies!
No worries Don, and no offense was taken by any means. You are more than welcome to share your opinions or statistical facts.

To be honest, I was just messing with you earlier, HAHA! I couldn't resist putting you on the spot after reading your original post, LOL. :D

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I knew generally what you meant and I didn't take it badly. I find all views and stats valuable.

·
Registered
'96 SL500, Triple Black
1,650 Posts
Wow, I think if you can get that at less than 10K you can't go wrong.

If you interchange parts that aren't MY specific that's good and if it all goes awry you can probably use it for parts and sell those which don't work for yours.

Lighthouse might be a good person to chat with about parts cars and value if you go that direction.

I am not promoting parting out that car, it looks great and I hate to see them get taken apart. But, if it turns out to be unreliable mechanically, then why not. If you have garage space for it.

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, I think if you can get that at less than 10K you can't go wrong.

If you interchange parts that aren't MY specific that's good and if it all goes awry you can probably use it for parts and sell those which don't work for yours.

Lighthouse might be a good person to chat with about parts cars and value if you go that direction.

I am not promoting parting out that car, it looks great and I hate to see them get taken apart. But, if it turns out to be unreliable mechanically, then why not. If you have garage space for it.
I think it would be a bit much for a parts car. I've been considering about 5K for a parts car but I dont know if I could make myself use a car with a nice body as a parts car.

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just read at the bottom of the ad that they are only to be "viewed" 2 days ago. I dont know what that means. I sent them an email.

·
Registered
'91 300SL(sold) 2000 SL320 Edition '94 E220 T auto
694 Posts
I think you might well be in for a bargain. I hope you do!

About one year ago when searching for another 129 myself I was offered a black '98 500 with 72k miles which was lined up at an auction. I could have bought it outwith the auction at a crazy cheap price (£3800). However I wimped out because I thought the roof was maybe not working, but I think it was just frosted on with some snow that was on it. I was also slightly unsure if it had been through the auction before and had flunked out. However, I saw it up for sale a week later at more than half what I could have got it for. So, I think it was a(slightly outwith)auction bargain!

I like the colour combo

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I actually keep an eye out for any r129 in a 500 mile radius on auction zip. The only one other than this I've ever seen was one in central TN or central NC ( I forget) a few months ago.
I wondered if any of our NC or TN members knew about that one and what it went for.

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually I'm thinking the odds will be slim if I get it. 5K I most likely would. 6K maybe? 7K maybe if I get "auction hypnosis."

1 - 20 of 47 Posts