Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 3 years ago I posted about erratic roof behavior. No one had an answer, but now that there are more owners & experience, it's time to try again!

Symptoms:
- On chilly mornings (60-70 degrees) roof will sometimes not open. The workaround I found is work the switch until the trunk opens. When the roof won't disengage, release & sit back. Try again in two min., usually works.

- On chilly closings, roof will sometimes NOT close. This one is the pain. Scenario is usually that I leave in warm weather & arrive in cool weather (60 degrees). Normally an evening situation. When you go to close the roof, the trunk opens, but the roof will not lift. It just goes thunk-thunk-thunk; the flap won't lift. Worst of all, the trunk will NOT go down. Everything is stuck in that state. I tried my sit-and-wait technique and cannot conclusively say that it works because the wait is in the order of 10-15 min instead of 2 for an open. I have on two occasions done a manual close (big hassle). One trick that worked once was to use the Allen wrench to open the hydraulic valve on the pump & close it right away. Need to repeat to really say that it does or does not work.

What gives? I took it to the dealer and they could not repeat it. They gave me the "you're making it up" line and blew me off.

It this a fluid issue? A switch issue? I don't mind the failure to open, but when I fear opening it for the chance of not being able to close it (and having the trunk stuck open) -- it's a shame. This is absolutely related to cold. This would never happen in 70+ degree weather.

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
Your problem is the 3 switches, 2 in the front of the roof and one in the passenger side A pillar. These switches are known problems, and in my experience, are temperature realted. I have a 99, I had the same issues, and after changing the switches, never had the problem again. Read the fix at this thread:

http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1203194&posts=7&fid=26

·
Registered
'99 SLK230, '98 ML320, '06 ML350
41 Posts
My '99 has the same problem. I called my dealer and told one of the long-time service techs about it (even mentioning the three switches), and he seemed to know exactly what I was talking about.

My dealer is 40 miles away, so I had a family member drop the car off. A different service guy called me and said, "It's working great for us." He made no mention of checking the computer fault logs, only dropping the top a couple of times.

I told him that it was the intermittant nature of the problem that was so maddening...it worked great twice early in the day, but when I took my wife out to dinner, it refused to open.

At least there was no charge for their "diagnostic work", and they did wash it. Oh, well.

I think they refused to change the switches because I have an extended warrantee (non-MB), and they will only do the work if it is 100% sure that the problem is what they fix, that they won't file on the warrantee to "experiment"...

I'm thinking about video-taping it every time it refuses to work, then drop off the tape with the car... ;-}

Actually, that might not be necessary. The dealership called me to ask me about my satisfaction with my "service experience"...

Chester

·
Registered
5 Posts
I´m having those exact same problems with my 98 SLK. How much can be those three switches repair, I guess got to be at the dealer?
Thaks to all!

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
fuck my roof im in with u bastards and I got a 01 slk

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
FernandoSLK - 4/12/2005 11:42 AM

I´m having those exact same problems with my 98 SLK. How much can be those three switches repair, I guess got to be at the dealer?
Thaks to all!
It should run somewhere around 130-150 including parts. The parts alone are about 50 bucks.

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
Chester - 4/10/2005 10:49 PM

My '99 has the same problem. I called my dealer and told one of the long-time service techs about it (even mentioning the three switches), and he seemed to know exactly what I was talking about.

My dealer is 40 miles away, so I had a family member drop the car off. A different service guy called me and said, "It's working great for us." He made no mention of checking the computer fault logs, only dropping the top a couple of times.

I told him that it was the intermittant nature of the problem that was so maddening...it worked great twice early in the day, but when I took my wife out to dinner, it refused to open.

At least there was no charge for their "diagnostic work", and they did wash it. Oh, well.

I think they refused to change the switches because I have an extended warrantee (non-MB), and they will only do the work if it is 100% sure that the problem is what they fix, that they won't file on the warrantee to "experiment"...

I'm thinking about video-taping it every time it refuses to work, then drop off the tape with the car... ;-}

Actually, that might not be necessary. The dealership called me to ask me about my satisfaction with my "service experience"...

Chester
Tell them that there is a known Technical Service Bulletin on this very problem.

I believe the TSB number is
TSB #DDAF77_39-U-603
Issue date JUN00
Title Vario Roof Stops

Verbage: Sealing bellows for miswithes S69/1, S69/2, S69/3 sticks or swithes do not function - Remedy, install modified switches.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts