Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 8 months ago my ML out of nowhere started slipping at highway speeds randomly for about a day, and then the following day it began hard shifting and slipping until it would not move at all. I parked the truck and haven't touched it until yesterday. I replaced the 13-pin connector which was completely covered in transmission fluid. The truck will drive for about 5 minutes then will just slip and make a whining noise. The truck will move until i put it in reverse or try shifting gears then it appears to be in neutral? I have never had an issue with slipping or hard shifting before. I am pulling a code P0715 which could be caused by a number of things. What should be my first approach? Should i clean the conductor board? or just replace it? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,135 Posts
If the 13 pin connector was leaking that long then I suspect it may be low on fluid.
Also the ETC (trans control unit) my be soaked in ATF and will need to be cleaned or replaced.
The conductor plate may also have gone bad. You won't know for sure until you check
all of them in that order. You will need a special tool dipstick to check the ATF level.

I would not drive it until you have repaired it. The slipping and whining could be causing
premature wear/failure of internal transmission parts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2001 model ML320 and have just had the transmission go into 'limp' mode. The codes were read today and while i didn't get the exact code numbers the mechanic read out faults with speed sensor, over temperature and low voltage.

I was hoping the faults could be cleared and the transmission would resume normal function (at least for now), but they said the error codes wouldn't clear/reset, accordingly the car stays in limp mode.

My question is, should these error codes have been able to have been reset, or do some of these 'malfunctions' have to be fixed/replaced before the ETC/TCU will reset??

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,135 Posts
Where exactly is the ETC located? is it in the conductor plate? and can I use just electric cleaner spray?
Under the dash next the AC/Heater box on the drivers side. I do not have a picture handy, it is posted several times over the years.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,104 Posts
Where exactly is the ETC located? is it in the conductor plate? and can I use just electric cleaner spray?
ANY AND ALL TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS

Step #1
Separate 13 pin connector and check if there is trans. fluid present. If so replace the 13 pin connector and the codes must be cleared from the ECM and ETC (see step #3). If no fluid present, codes must be read from the ETC Module to pinpoint the problem, record each and every code (see step #3).

Step #2
The ETC (Electronic Transmission Control) Module is located on the left side of the heater box above the gas pedal. Pull the module out of its bracket, remove the electrical connectors, and then separate the covers. If there is no oil present, reattach the module. If there is oil, clean with contact spray and then you will have to clean the harness all the way up to the 13 pin connector.

Step #3
You must find an independent mechanic who has a professional grade scanner (similar to the one shown below) with Euro./Mercedes capabilities and have the codes erased from:

A. the ECM (Engine Control Module) code P0715.
B. the ETC Module which will have three digit codes (see below).

IF THESE CODES ARE NOT ERASED FROM BOTH MODULES, YOUR PROBLEMS WILL CONTINUE, EVEN THOUGH THE PROPER REPAIR HAS BEEN MADE.

Step #4
If there is no fluid present in the 13 pin connector, then the codes must be read from the ETC Module by a professional grade scanner to pinpoint the problem.

Do not arbitrarily replace the Conductor Plate just because there is fluid present in the 13 pin connector. The conductor plate is submerged in trans. fluid and is designed to operate in that fluid. But when there is fluid in between the 13 pin connector it will not function properly. It does not short out the conductor plate but prevents contact of the pins in the 13 pin connector (trans. fluid is not a conductor of electricity).

What this all boils down to is, if you replace a part, the codes must be cleared. If that doesn't work and you replace another part, the codes must be cleared, etc. You don't like this scenario, but that's the way M/B designed it and it wasn't with you in mind.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 ML320
2,800 Posts
Take the advice or don't take it. But these people have been dealing with the w163 for over a decade.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm taking the advice. I just took it up to a shop to try and clear the codes and that's just what the guy told me. Tomorrow I will check out the ECM and pull the board if that doesn't work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts