Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had the pleasure to fix a window or had the door panel off but my wife's '99 ML320 drivers window goes down just fine. However, when closing the window, it seems to slip out of the track and the rear edge of the windows lifts out of the track. As well, if I put the window down half way I am able to pull the window up from the back and it pivots forward.

As I've never opened the door up, can anyone recommend some tips on removing the door panel or is it straight forward? As well, what is needed to secure the window in the track?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now the question is, as the window motor still works, would it be wise to get just the regulator without the motor or get the whole unit as the motor is about 14 yrs old?

·
Registered
2002 ML500; 2007 BMW 335XI
410 Posts
Do not disconnect side airbag connector with battery on, if you have to disconnect it then disconnect battery first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do not disconnect air bags connector with battery on, if you have to disconnect it then disconnect battery first.
Yes, I have read that others advise on taking off the neg battery terminal. I need to first confirm it's the regulator and as it will most likely be, I'll need to get the part, rivets and a rivet gun. Seems like a fairly straightforward repair but as I've never done it before, may take a little longer.

·
Registered
'06 E500, '99 ML430 & '07 SL65 AMG
648 Posts
I just changed my regulator in the drivers door. The rivets you get from the dealer are steel and the rivet gun you get at places like Homedepot cannot pull steel rivets.

I had to put in Aluminium rivets knowing that there at some point will be some slack and I will have to redo it. It was either that or go get a rivet gun that could pull steel rivets.

BTW, the regulator was cheaper at the dealer that most other places selling aftermarket parts. Might as well get the real thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just changed my regulator in the drivers door. The rivets you get from the dealer are steel and the rivet gun you get at places like Homedepot cannot pull steel rivets.

I had to put in Aluminium rivets knowing that there at some point will be some slack and I will have to redo it. It was either that or go get a rivet gun that could pull steel rivets.

BTW, the regulator was cheaper at the dealer that most other places selling aftermarket parts. Might as well get the real thing.
Thanks for the info. Harbor Freight has a two hand rivet gun that gets good reviews from a number of people who have had to install window regs. One review mentions that it works well on steel rivets so I'll probably go that route.

Did you replace the regulator with motor or just the regulator? I still have to take to door apart to confirm what the issue is and will then call around for the parts.

·
Registered
'06 E500, '99 ML430 & '07 SL65 AMG
648 Posts
Thanks for the info. Harbor Freight has a two hand rivet gun that gets good reviews from a number of people who have had to install window regs. One review mentions that it works well on steel rivets so I'll probably go that route.

Did you replace the regulator with motor or just the regulator? I still have to take to door apart to confirm what the issue is and will then call around for the parts.
Just the regulator. The motor was fine. This was on a '99.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it's confirmed. The regulator is broken.

Three questions:
-Regarding the removal of the airbag. Does the SRS panel over the airbag just unclip from the airbag unit? I was afraid to mess with it as the battery was still connected as all I was doing was confirming what was wrong. The replacement will happen on another day but if the SRS panel just unclips, I can most likely drill out the two rivets without removing the airbag assembly. If it all has to come off together, then the airbag has to come off.

-I forgot to look at how the window attaches to the track so can someone explain how the window secures to the regulator track. Any additional tools/adhesives/etc. needed?

-Lastly, how is the motor attached to the regulator? I plan to only get the regulator and reuse the existing motor.

Looks like a fairly easy repair once I get the rivets drilled out.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,185 Posts
After you take the door panel off everything will be obvious.

A couple of things to remember:

a. the rivets come in a pack of 12 and that is all you will need for everything, so don't break or damage one.

b. you will need two window suction cups to hold the window in position during removal and installation.

c. before you put the door panel back on, make sure the air bag connector is connected before you re-attach the neg. batt. cable. Then you can bring the window up and down.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any thoughts on a replacement regulator like this?

Price is definitely right but maybe not the quality. The local parts store has one for $80 and the dealer is at $104.

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes-Benz ML 320
14 Posts
Benz sold me 6 rivets today. But the .pdf on pg. 1 of this thread says I need to pop out 10 rivets. Can someone clear up the confusion?

·
Registered
1998 ML320
615 Posts
In regard to my window situation the regulator still functions perfectly, I can at times reseat the window by running the regulator up or down and eventually it seats and will function once or twice before the glass pops out again. The regulator works fine. What is not shown on those images is a metal U shape channel that attaches to the regulator and this is where the bottom of the glass and the rubber channel sits in. And I have never had to replace window glass before so not sure what I can do. Its also about 102° outside so the chances of me taking the door apart and getting picture is slight LOL (sorry) I am wondering if I need some butyl to stick the window or what?

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
8,181 Posts
In regard to my window situation the regulator still functions perfectly, I can at times reseat the window by running the regulator up or down and eventually it seats and will function once or twice before the glass pops out again. The regulator works fine. What is not shown on those images is a metal U shape channel that attaches to the regulator and this is where the bottom of the glass and the rubber channel sits in. And I have never had to replace window glass before so not sure what I can do. Its also about 102° outside so the chances of me taking the door apart and getting picture is slight LOL (sorry) I am wondering if I need some butyl to stick the window or what?
Why not continue in thread you have started few days ago?

Reactions: khomer2
1 - 15 of 15 Posts