Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E430
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read several topics regarding the needle bearings that tend to go at around mileage of 120k which is right around where this car is now. Could someone clarify whether all the bearings in the transmission could need replacing or if it is usually the torque converter bearing that is usually the culprit.

The likely cause and the symptoms:
The other day I pulled out fast from a dead stop to stay out of the way of an approaching car. I spun the engine to over 6000 rpm, I hadn't done that in years, and let up once I hit about 45mph. A day or two later I heard a ticking sound which I thought was the catalytic converter, two days later it suddenly turned into a rattling, grinding sound as I pulled into a parking garage. The transmission felt like it locked-up for a second but I was able to get into a parking space after about 200 feet of travel. I tried to put it into reverse but it bucked like the differential was locking-up. The noise and vibration goes away if spin the engine off idle to about 1200 rpm. Now I am faced with putting lots of money into a car I was only going to keep for another year. The alternative is to make it my winter project since I have other vehicles. I am going to tow it in a day or two, I would appreciate any meaningful advice on this advanced DIY project (I've done just about everything you can do on cars in the past 25 years so I am not afraid of this although this would be my first transmission rebuild if that is what it takes.) I look forward to your input or questions.

·
Registered
1997 E320
65 Posts
I might have a similar issue, but mines isn't grinding at all. One day I just got into the car to notice a slight ticking and a slight vibration. The car drives and shifts as normal, I don't feel/hear any grinding....so not sure what the heck is going on with this thing. I would like to hear from anyone that is familiar with this as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts