Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 E430
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to get the head unit replaced in my 99 E430, but keep running into the fiber optic snag with the Bose system.
What is exactly involved in changing the head unit. No installers seem to want to touch it.

·
Registered
2000 E320
173 Posts
The fiber optic network is for the phone, steering wheel controls, and the CD changer. So ...

The fiber optic network is for the phone, steering wheel controls, and the CD changer. So if you replace the head unit, you need to get a new CD changer and will also lose the phone and steering wheel controls. Other than that it will work just fine.

·
Registered
99 E430
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is good news. I do not use the phone and have no steering wheel controls, so this s...

That is good news. I do not use the phone and have no steering wheel controls, so this should be a no brainer.
Looking through other posts, am I correct that the amp is in the trunk, by the left lid hinge? Also, is there a fiber connection from the head unit to the amp? I think I am going to replace everything.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,241 Posts
Re:

That is good news. I do not use the phone and have no steering wheel controls, so this should be a no brainer.
Looking through other posts, am I correct that the amp is in the trunk, by the left lid hinge? Also, is there a fiber connection from the head unit to the amp? I think I am going to replace everything.
The last poster was incorrect that the fibre optic is for the steering wheel controls. It has nothing to do with them. (I know you don't have them, but still it was something incorrect.)

You can keep the amp and feed your preamp output from the new headunit into the Bose amp; or you can replace the amp (AND SPEAKERS) and use that. Or just use the amp in the new headunit and go straight to new speakers. The Bose speakers are low impedence and designed to integrate with the amp, so you either need to use the two together or replace them both.

On your car there is no fibre connection to the amp. As posted before, it is only for the telephone and CD changer. Later models introduced connections to TeleAid, voice control, and amplifier.

-s-

·
Registered
99 E430
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. Time to go shopping!

Thanks for the info. Time to go shopping!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts