Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my wife just bought a 99 e320 with transmission problems. We changed the conductor plate and 13 pin plug. Cleaned everything with electric cleaner and it drove for a few minutes then just gave up. It will rev and hold in place while in reverse and just holds in all other gears. Will roll in N. Can anyone help up with might be the problem? We put in Valvoline high miles for Mercedes. It gives code p0700. No others.

·
Registered
1998 E320s sedan and wagon
1,040 Posts
You need a proper scan tool like SDS to clear codes in the TCM through the 38-pin connector in the engine bay fuse box. You can’t clear TCM faults through the OBD port. Not even the dealer can clear TCM faults through the OBD port.

Did you check for ATF in the TCM?

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 197K miles

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes we did. It had atf in it. We sprayed it out and let dry. We just ordered the connector for the 38 prong plug under the hood. I'm not sure when it will be here. So after I erase the codes from the TCM it will drive normal? Thank you for your help. Should we just wait for the connector and go from there?

·
2,906 Posts
Yes we did. It had atf in it. We sprayed it out and let dry. We just ordered the connector for the 38 prong plug under the hood. I'm not sure when it will be here. So after I erase the codes from the TCM it will drive normal? Thank you for your help. Should we just wait for the connector and go from there?
Hoping you got the correct 38pin connector and not some cheap knock-off.
Not all 38pin connectors are created equal. Knock-offs are only good paper weights.
Keep use posted.

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,719 Posts
You need a proper scanner that can access the TCM through the 38 pin diagnostic connector to reset. The scanner will likely come with its own 38-pin adapter specific to the scanner, or you need to order the specific one separately. This will allow you reset the TCM code, as well as the P700 code in the ECU.

P0700 is typically related to the rpm sensors on the conductor plate, the wheel speed sensor issues, ATF leaks.

Have you checked the TCM for ATF contamination ? Was there any ATF contamination in the transmission plug adapter ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Knowing her she didn't but I'm not sure. It's her first Mercedes and she's always wanted one. I'll definitely keep you posted. I've been looking through here for days now trying to find a fix. If I can help someone else going through this I'll try my best. Thank you guys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes we looked at all connections. It registers it's in gear, it gives a pull when it goes into gear it just won't move. Reverse holds the car in place but no movement. It will rev all the way then go to idle for a second or two then rev again. Reverse lights come on so it knows it's supposed to be in reverse. Thank you for your time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts