Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1999 C280
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
During the first start in the morning, the lights in the instrument panel flash and flicker for a little bit (duration varies between 30 secs and a minute) and then goes away. Started about 2 weeks ago. Then a few days ago, I got the CEL and Autozone OBD II read it P1747, looked it up for my car and it says "P1747 - CAN Signal From ETC."
Twice the ECL came on and went off before the next start. OBD II reads the error even when ECL goes off. So far it hasn't affected the smoothness of the driving at all.
Did some research and it seems the transmission plug, the wire harness and in the worst (rare) case the ETC itself can get contaminated with trans oil leaking thru the trans plug o-ring over time. This makes the connection and the signals intermittent and hence the flashing and the flickers.
Questions -
1) Is CAN = Controller Area Network and ETC = Electronic Transmission Controller?
2) Also is Electronic Transmission Controller same as Electronic Throttle Control and if not where is Throttle Control located?
3) The problem seems to be pretty common, and the solution is mostly RR only the $10 trans plug, sometimes the wire harness, and rarely cleaning the ETC insides with electronics cleaning spray or RR/reflow some bust caps or RR the unit itself. Hoping mine is just the trans plug but will see. Does all this sound correct for my car?
4) The harness wire runs from the trans plug to the box on the pax side firewall where the round socket for the full scanner is located. And then from there to the ETC unit which is located under the pax side floor carpet under the dash. Does all this sound correct for my car?
5) Can anybody please post or email me the Mercedes drawings with locations, part #s and the RR instructions?
Last but not least please let me know if I am totally off in my approach. And if you need additional information.
Thanks much in advance!

·
Registered
1999 C280
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No replies...so I guess this P1747 error hasn't been dealt with much or has no specific diagnosis??
Anyway, does anybody know what the ETC stands for sure? Is it Electronic Transmission Controller or Electronic Throttle Control? And which one would it be in this case? Can anybody share the electrical diagram of a 99 C280 or a link to it?
My problem hasn't gotten any worse yet...
Thanks for any help :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts