Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
07 Ford Fusion; 07 Ford F150; 99 Mercedes C 280; 06 Yamaha R6
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 99 C280 was parked for 3 months in my garage, and when I came back I saw headliner in the back and on sunroof was sagged, battery was dead. After replacing the battery now A/C is not blowing cold air. When parked A/C was working fine. Is there a connection between replacing the battery and A/C not working.
Heat is working OK.

Thanks
DG

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
Is the EC light lit up on the HVAC controls? If so, and you can't make it go out it means there is something wrong with the A/C system.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No my EC light is not on. It will only come on when I press the button and it turns off too.
DG

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
maybe a fuse blew? Or the 134 needs a recharge...

·
Registered
'99 2.3L Kompressor
1,944 Posts
To check the refrigerant's level in a basic way (nothing precise), turn the air conditioning and engine on and let it idle. Do you see any fluid when you look at the sight glass on the receiver/drier? If you don't see any, then you are out. If it bubbles, you are getting low. If can see it there and it is not bubbling then it should be OK.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where is the condensor located and how can I tell if my compressor is kicking on or not.
DG

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
You should be able to hear it kick on... park in the garage and roll the window down and engage the a/c.

LEAVING THE GARAGE DOOR OPEN OF COURSE!! LOL had to add that part

·
Registered
1986 190e 2.3-16 (W201), 1997 SL320 Panoramic Glass Top (R129) & 2009 C300 Panoramic Top (W204)
739 Posts
Hello

OK, I think you issue could be or most likely be a leak in your system. Most likely in your compresor shaft seal. Once you park your car, the worn seal which is most likely oval now vs. round and snug, will allow the freon to escape. If you use your A/C regularly this process takes a long time, but sitting for 3 months its plenty time to leak. Get it evacuated and recharged with dye to trace any leaks. You are reminded that if the system is low your low pressure switch will not allow your compresor to click on. Good luck. :eek:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked my compressor it kicks in but the it is not cooling very much and shuts off after few minutes. You can see the RPM change and hear the noise when it kicks in.
I've seen other posts where they recommended checking the pressure of the refrigerant.
I've following questions;
1) The plug where you check the pressure and charge the system, is that the black plug by the washer fluid reservoir?

2) How much the pressure should be?

3) Also can I buy a kit and charge it myself?
All the help is appreciated.

Thanks
DG

·
Registered
1986 190e 2.3-16 (W201), 1997 SL320 Panoramic Glass Top (R129) & 2009 C300 Panoramic Top (W204)
739 Posts
Dont try this at home

You can always go and get a DIY re-charge kit, but you will not be correcting your problem. The band-aid approach will only catch up with you later. I recommend you visit a A/C shop, stay away from the dealer! Have them give you an estimate for repairs and see the issue yourself. If its low they will charge and they will try to trace for any leaks, if your system does not require a recharge your issue could be anything from Compressor to Filter Dryer to Evaporator. I would just get it checked from those that do it all the time and no more guessing.

Good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I worked on it today. Did following,

1) Checked if compressor was running - It was initially kicking in and slightly ool air will come but then it will turn off.

2) Checked the pressure in the system with the car running - It was very-very high. Can someone tell me why it was very high, I didn't even charged this A/C. So now I'm thinking may be pressure switch is kicking the compressor off because pressure is too high.

3) I releived the system pressure till it was too low.

4) Then I charged it with the refrigerent to the full, now it is working like it is suppose to. And I hope it continues to do so.

Thanks
DG

1 - 11 of 11 Posts