Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, this was previsouly addressed in other threads so I apologize for not searching. Im actually on vacation and do not have my laptop - and searching on my old phone would suck.

On my way I was in stop and go traffic. It was hot outside - maybe high 90's. My temp gauge would read up to 110 degrees C. When I started moving and kept moving, it would drop to a little above normal opperating. Then it would go back up. My friend was able to google it and we did the test where you fold up newspaper and touch the fan. I did that and the fan slowed and stopped without any pressure really. When i let off, it kicked back on.
Also while stopped and/or moving little my AC is horrible. It shoots out luke warm air and is now unbearable in these temperatures. When im on the highway going 60/70 the AC is decent, but not great.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Does temp creep up at 50 mph? Does it randomly go up and down? If so, you may be looking at a head gasket. Do you have bubbles in you overflow tank?

When car gets hot, does your aux electric fan come on?

AC may just be low R134. Get a cheap set of gauges and check.

But I'd worry about the overheating first before I'd put a penny in the AC.

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor Special Edition
1,173 Posts
Yes it affects your A/C. Behind your front grill sits the a/c condenser, where air flow over the compressed R134 gas that's in your a/c system. Behind it is your coolant radiator. In front of your condenser is your electric fans and behind your radiator is your engine fan.

The engine fan pulls the air, the auxiliary fans can't push it without the engine fan also pulling. That's why your a/c is crappy.

Get it fixed. Don't take a chance on overheating. If you warp your head your engine will be toast.

With the correct tools (try Napa) this is a Very Easy job!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
sorry for the delay, just got back.

Thank you all for your help. I was online looking at them, and I saw some fan clutches for like 50-60 bucks. Are those bad??? Should i stick with Behr or the OEM brand. Alot of the 50-60 buck ones say Manufacturers replacement?

http://www.partstrain.com/store/details/Replacement/Fan_Clutch/REPM313713.html

This ^ one ^ has a one year warranty. Should I consider this one over the behr?

·
Registered
1999 C280
898 Posts
me personally, I would not buy one from China like this one appears to be.
they list the brand as "replacement" boy it must be good....

Mark

·
Registered
880 Posts
Do you get AC on the highway? Do you overheat on the highway?

The aux electric fan should come on with the compressor to cool the condensor, and no, it doesn't need the mechanical fan to work properly. It'll work fine by itself.

You may have two problems, but solve the overheating first.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I went with the Sachs that was posted by bachusaattack. Thanks for that.
Mark - You make a great point, "replacement" instead of a company name should scare me....

and Marvinstockman - on the highway my AC kinda works. I feel as if it could be a little bit colder, I still find myself on the hot side.
Also on the highway my temp. gauge reads at 80/85 (so right in the middle). How can I tell if my aux electric fan if actually engaging while i drive?

Im heading over to the Auto Parts store tomorrow to pick up the tools needed to pull off my fan clutch, should i pick up some r134 ref. and some cheap gauges???

and sorry for missing your first post on this thread. The temperature doesn't really move alot. When i'm driving its steady, when stopped it goes up, but then down when I begin to drive again.

·
Registered
880 Posts
First, you probably have two problems, AC and cooling.

On the highway, you don't need fans. The car becomes the fan.

The aux electric fans work to cool the radiator, if the mechanical fan fails, and cool the condenser when the AC pressure goes above 250 psi. Note, this was confusing to me, as most cars turn on the aux electric fan with the compressor.

I'd apply 12 volts directly to the fans to make sure they work. Do you have two fans or one fan. My C280 has two aux fans.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
alright I will check those 2 fans. and ummm

today I got the fan clutch in the mail. It looks as if I actually ordered the behr and not the Sachs...but there is a sticker on it that says Behr, but the actual fan clutch says "made in china". Did I get ripped off? I know the DIY he mentions that Behrs china made, but Behr is not on the clutch at all? Should I return it and get the Sachs? Also the once i received has a coil on the back, not a strip, is that okay?

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor Special Edition
1,173 Posts
The Sachs was $142.08. The Behr china is about $60.

To check your auxiliary fans just idle your engine with the ac on. They should kick on about 87 degrees Celsius.

I bought the Sachs because it is the actual part. The Behr will work in most cases, but how well and for how long is the question. The Behr looks different, too. Some sites describe the Behr as OEM because Behr manufactures some parts on the car. But my fan clutch was a Sachs.

Make sure you don't overcharge your a/c.

Marvin, after swapping my fan clutch, my a/c works much better. And my car stays cool at long stops. That is why I believe the auxiliary fans don't get the job done without the engine fan pulling the air.

Don't take chances with engine cooling!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts