Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'99 C230k
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check it out folks,

Dropped off my C230k at the dealer yesterday. The a/c went out a few months ago. Dealer reloaded the freon with a special dye and charge me $300+ for the work, 'cuz they couldn't find the leak. OK. Now it went again. Since I have Starmark, I took it back. Now they see where it leaked and are replacing the compressor. OK.

I also told them that there was an oil leak dripping down the passenger side of the engine, at the rear down to the tranny. The service writer tells me that his tech said it was the p/s hose. I say, "No way." The power steering components are on the driver side front of the engine. He said that they pressure washed it and couldn't find the oil leak. So I went after work.

Talked to the service writer/advisor and requested that they put my car on the lift. Another tech brings the car in and puts it on the lift. And there it is. A streak down the side of the block. The tech got a light. It looks like the head gasket may be going bad. It is leaking right where the aluminum head joins the block at the rear right corner from the passenger side if you're looking from the bottom up from under the car. The tech said that he will talk to the shop honcho to see what they could do. This should be covereed under Starmark. It has 95k on it now, and Starmark is good 'till 100k.

Oh, and they want $300+ to replace the p/s pressure hose. It's 2.5 hours of labor + the hose. I told them to hold up on the hose. It's leaking, but it's not a siv..

I had this same issue with an '84 190D 2.2/5-spd that my Dad has. The same type of oil leak in the same spot too. It was more pronounced on the 190 since it was a diesel and had more pressure in the cylinders pushing the oil out. replaced it ourselves and it doesn't leak anymore.

Anybody else go through this with there W202? Oh, the a/c compressor is coming from Germany. Don't understand why a Nippodenso (Japanese) compressor has to come from Germany. Supposedly, there aren't any in the States.

I got a free rental car in the meantime from the dealer.

·
Registered
'99 C230k
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, got the car back today. They charged Starmark over $1200 for the a/c repair. But they didn't do anything about the leak. They said that they couldn't duplicate it. I made sure that they noted it in the records about the leak.

It is small, but it shouldn't be leaking oil. The advisor requested that I keep my eyes on it incase it gets worse. I don't know. I wish I could contact somebody to resolve this. It isn't major yet, but it will eventually. And probably after the Starmark expires.

·
Registered
1992 300E
77 Posts
When I bought my car at auction last year my compressor was toast...that was a nice $1300 repair out of pocket within the first week. haha

·
Registered
1992 300E
77 Posts
oh yeah....
what I found interesting is that the leaks in the compressor were right behind the two auxillory fan motors. The owner of the shop mentioned something about that being a typical problem with these cars.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Any way to prevent leaks?

·
Registered
2014 E550
398 Posts
Joesid,
Where and how did you buy your car at auction? Years ago I use to buy cars that claimed were bank repossessed. Most had been to body shops and sold at action. Just curious.

·
Registered
67 Posts
JOESID said:
oh yeah....
what I found interesting is that the leaks in the compressor were right behind the two auxillory fan motors. The owner of the shop mentioned something about that being a typical problem with these cars.
That would be a condenser leaking, not a compressor.
and yes, very common on these 202 cars.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That dealer should be charging you NOTHING for these repairs if you have a valid starmark warranty. That p/s hose should be replaced under warranty, you should not have payed the $300 to have the system filled and cked for leaks.
and the oil leak should be repaired. Talk to the service manager, it is far easier for the dealer to fix before the car is out of starmark warranty.

jay123 said:
Check it out folks,

Dropped off my C230k at the dealer yesterday. The a/c went out a few months ago. Dealer reloaded the freon with a special dye and charge me $300+ for the work, 'cuz they couldn't find the leak. OK. Now it went again. Since I have Starmark, I took it back. Now they see where it leaked and are replacing the compressor. OK.

I also told them that there was an oil leak dripping down the passenger side of the engine, at the rear down to the tranny. The service writer tells me that his tech said it was the p/s hose. I say, "No way." The power steering components are on the driver side front of the engine. He said that they pressure washed it and couldn't find the oil leak. So I went after work.

Talked to the service writer/advisor and requested that they put my car on the lift. Another tech brings the car in and puts it on the lift. And there it is. A streak down the side of the block. The tech got a light. It looks like the head gasket may be going bad. It is leaking right where the aluminum head joins the block at the rear right corner from the passenger side if you're looking from the bottom up from under the car. The tech said that he will talk to the shop honcho to see what they could do. This should be covereed under Starmark. It has 95k on it now, and Starmark is good 'till 100k.

Oh, and they want $300+ to replace the p/s pressure hose. It's 2.5 hours of labor + the hose. I told them to hold up on the hose. It's leaking, but it's not a siv..

I had this same issue with an '84 190D 2.2/5-spd that my Dad has. The same type of oil leak in the same spot too. It was more pronounced on the 190 since it was a diesel and had more pressure in the cylinders pushing the oil out. replaced it ourselves and it doesn't leak anymore.

Anybody else go through this with there W202? Oh, the a/c compressor is coming from Germany. Don't understand why a Nippodenso (Japanese) compressor has to come from Germany. Supposedly, there aren't any in the States.

I got a free rental car in the meantime from the dealer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts