Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a question about the trunk release in a 1999 C230 Sport. The trunk will not open at all, whether using the release on the remote, in the car, or even the valet key, so I've pretty much run out of ideas of how to get the bugger open.

I'm just wondering if there are any other tips/ideas of how to get it open? However, I'm wondering if the temperatures here might have played a part in the trunk not opening (it's been under -20C for about the past 2 weeks).

Thanks!
jbolivar

·
Registered
1,951 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Try some de-icer lubricant

Hey guys,

I have a question about the trunk release in a 1999 C230 Sport. The trunk will not open at all, whether using the release on the remote, in the car, or even the valet key, so I've pretty much run out of ideas of how to get the bugger open.

I'm just wondering if there are any other tips/ideas of how to get it open? However, I'm wondering if the temperatures here might have played a part in the trunk not opening (it's been under -20C for about the past 2 weeks).

Thanks!
jbolivar
Put the de-icer lubricant nozzle into the lock, pump it in, wait a few then try the lock manually again. Verify if you are getting a power light also from inside the car for automatic operation. B

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Isn't the whole release mechanism electric? I haven't ever tried to open with the key... but when you push the button on the outside it activates the electric release... I am not near my car to test the steel key.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey, I too have the same problem. But in my case the valet key only enters half way in... so I cannot turn it. I have 2 sets of keys and none of them slides in, on drivers door it's ok.
And the inside button doesn't work since I bought this car. What to do?
jbolivar, did you fix it?

Thanks

·
Registered
608 Posts
The idea of a valet key is so a valet person cannot get into your trunk or your glove box. You are using the wrong key to get in your trunk.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks!
So, valet key, is the key that I can remove from the main key I use for ignition? I thought they could get inside trunk anyways, since they have the ignition key, which has the button to open the trunk..
There was no other keys that came with the car, I bought it used... Where do I get the key for the trunk then? Dealership?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I went to dealership today, they said I have the right key... Could it be that they are mistaken?
I think I should get new lock and try to remove it... Is there any tips on how to remove a lock? Since there is no access to the inside, I'm not sure what to do.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
you need to have a master key to get into the turnk or glove box. the valet key will only get you into the doors and to start the car. its kind of a safety feature for your valuables. you should be able to get a master key from the dealer, and thats why your trunks wont open with the valet key. if you happen to have the wallet key, which ive never seen before, i believe that will open all compartments as well.

in my clk, the battery died and i had to open the trunk with the key that is in the actual remote. im not sure if your remotes are like that. if you want, i could take a picture of my remote. see if there is some type of release button on your remote, that will let you pull the silver part out of it. that should be your master key.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think I do have the master key, since it allows me to open glovebox... my both keys do that. I'll go to different dealership tomorrow to check what they say.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
It's late as I write this so I didn't go check my car to see how it works, but don't you use the valet key to actually lock your trunk just as you do your glove box? You would normally lock them with the valet key then remove it from your master fob, which you surrender to the valet. Since they only have the master, they can't open the glove or trunk and nor can you if someone locked it with the valet key.
Please try this and let us know if it works.

Also, for those tough locks, I always recommend the graphite lube powder from the auto parts store for freeing up difficult mechanisms. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
also, one thing to note, when you do turn the key in the key slot, make sure you push in on the trunk release with the key rotated. this is how i opened the trunk in my clk when the battery was dead and the doors were locked. your issue sounds like it may be different though, like the trunk release physically isnt working. if thats the case, i dont really know what to tell you :(

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's late as I write this so I didn't go check my car to see how it works, but don't you use the valet key to actually lock your trunk just as you do your glove box? You would normally lock them with the valet key then remove it from your master fob, which you surrender to the valet. Since they only have the master, they can't open the glove or trunk and nor can you if someone locked it with the valet key.
Please try this and let us know if it works.

Also, for those tough locks, I always recommend the graphite lube powder from the auto parts store for freeing up difficult mechanisms. Good luck!

Yes...just flip keys around, the Valet key is what you give to the Valet, so he can only unlock the doors and start the car....(besides, who uses a valet anyways???)

Awhile ago, my pump went out on my trunk and the only way I can open now is with the key, and for awhile the key didn't work either, I finally took it to the dealership and they just had to keep messing with the key, kept lubin it and kept sticking the key in and out, and turning it and finally got it. (I guess after 7 years of never using the lock physically it needed to be re "popped") but now it works like a champ, stick the key all the way in, turn it to the left and while its turned push the button and it should pop open.

PS-BE AWARE!!! Even if your doors are locked the key will still open the trunk and set the alarm off, which isn't fun to do in your neighborhood at 2 AM!

·
Registered
28 Posts
My key only enters halfway...I'll try lubing some more then...

Regarding keys, we got one with the car and ordered another one, the mechanical key is identical.. In dealership they say both of them are master keys.

Maybe the person before us put new key lock for the trunk and there was a key, but they didn't give us and now I'll be trying to open it with the wrong key..

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
i highly doubt the lock on the trunk is different. if they key only goes in halfway, lube it up, or use something similar to wd-40 to try to loosen things up. and dont be afraid to use some pressure, just dont snap the key haha, or then you really wont be able to open it :p

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
The WD40 or graphite lube (my preferred method) idea should work but if your key still won't go in you might want to use a bright light and open the small cover where the key goes and make sure another key isn't broken off in there.

I just tested mine and when I use the metal key attached to the infrared it turns both ways, one locks the car, the other unlocks the car. A good thing to know if your remote battery ever goes out and you need to lock her up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ok, here's the update.

I drilled out the lock with ~1cm diameter drill bit. Then there is white moving part inside in the back of the lock on the left side, which you push to open the trunk. You can still use the lock even with remote key or press it with the finger :) after you destroy it.

I also bought new (used from c280, ~150$) locking mechanism from eBay with the key, but it doesn't fit the opening on the trunk (the opening is slightly smaller) and the mechanics are slightly different. But, I used part from my old lock and put it on the lock from c280 and it works, now I can drill the hole in the trunk slightly bigger to insert it, but I will wait if I can find used lock from kompressor. Btw, the kompressor lock looks flimsy.. all made of plastic.

For now I'll just put my old lock, fill the hole and paint with black paint from mercedes and open it with remote only. So if your lock doesn't work it is not necessary to pay $600+labor in dealership, unless you want everything original and keys made for your car. You can either do it for 0$ :) or the price of the used lock.

There is also wires inside the mechanism and the connectors are different, but the amount of cables is the same. I'm not sure what the wires are for, but the lock works without them perfectly. I think it is for diagnostics, to see in which position your lock is...

Also in the process I fixed fuel tank door which wouldn't lock,when all doors locked. You have to remove the insides of the trunk on the right side and then remove the locking mechanism from the fuel tank door. There is no screws, it holds with a plastic clip, even though you can't see it, with your hand you can do it. The problem with mine was that it needed lubrication of the metal moving part.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts