Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys here it is. my check engine light came on in my 1999 c230 komp. i then noticed a bog down feel in the engine like it didn't want to go. then i came to a signal light and it was sputtering. it has done this for a couple of days now. sometimes even when i try and gas it real hard i get that loud back fire noise. whats real funny is that when i turn the car off then on its gone fore about 5-10 minutes and the car runs fine but its getting worse each time. is the the maf that i hear about?

·
Registered
'99 2.3L Kompressor
1,944 Posts
Is the CEL lit? Have you gone to the parts store to borrow the scanner and check for codes? If so, what codes did it give you?

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
Classic MAF Symtoms

Sounds like Classic MAF symtoms.:eek: Also could be a coil, or dirty Throttle Body??? If the MAF is old I'd start with that since your eventually going to need one anyway... Buy the insert only, it's a lot cheaper that the whole unit.

First, as xvvvz said, see what the codes are showing. Sometimes a bad MAF will cause an O2 sensor code to show up. The MAF may or may not throw a code even if it is bad.

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

C as in 220

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
Codes

Your codes are for an oxy. sensor and a Cyl. misfire on your #2 cyl. Still could be the MAF or a coil etc. I'll stick my neck out and spend your money on an MAF insert.:D If it hasn't gone out yet it's gonna... Ours threw a bunch of codes when the MAF was the culprit. No MAF Code showed up though. They are the trickiest thing because they fool even the computer when they go bad. There are several tests on this site that you can do on your MAF before you drop any dough for a new one. You'll have to do some searching... "MAF Test Procedure" maybe.

C as in 220

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
unplugged maf

ok i found the maf and unplugged it. the check engine light did not come after i did this, so it must be a maf. i re ran the obd and now i get codes p0110 (intake air temerature sensor 1 circuit) and code p0100 ( mass or volume air flow circuit)

can i drive the vehicle with the maf unhooked?

·
Registered
'99 2.3L Kompressor
1,944 Posts
If you run with the MAF unplugged, the computer will resort to some default mode. I don't know if, or how much, damage that would do. The MAF, computer, O2 sensor, etc., work as a team to set things like mixture. If there are problems and the mixture gets adjusted way out of wack, it can do things like destroy your cat. converter. So I would not let this issue linger.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok i plugged the maf back in and drove around the block. check engine light came back on. tested again and now all i get is the p0302 (cylinder 2 misfire detected) should i cheng the plugs or check the coil? and by the way what are the freakin coils and where are they located???

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
CEL

Drive it some more and the MAF will code again too!:D The MAF will drive you crazy with seemingly unrelated symtoms...:eek: BTDT

Take the cover off that's on top of the valve cover body to find the coils and plugs.

C as in 220

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
today i changed the plugs to e3 spark plugs, flipped the coils and cleaned the maf with maf spray. what a huge difference!!! the car runs great!!! lets see if this was the problem and if it keeps running like a champion. my fingers are crossed.
cjshade thanks for your help!!!

i will update in a few days

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
Hooray!

It feels great when they are running right again! I'm glad to hear the MAF spray etc. worked.:thumbsup:

It would help others (and me) to know where you bought the MAF spray. It's hard to find in some areas.

C as in 220

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
update

ok heres the update.
car ran good for a week after cleaning the maf and changing plugs. went with these plugs called g3. car starting acting up again.
ordered a new maf. installed and the car still runs the same and when i rev up the rpm's i can smell gas coming from the exhaust.
do you think its a bad maf? or did i foul the plugs while driving 2 weeks with a bad maf. are these g3 plugs crap? or could it be a fuel filter, cat converter, oxygen sensor, or coil?
when i start the car its fine but when i drive for a few minutes it starts sputtering and the idle is rough. i can turn the car off then back on and it runs fine for a minute. sometimes when the car is warm and i restart it feels like its running fine until i come to a stop.
when the sputtering starts and i put the car in neutral and gas the rpm's it rely hesitates bad. turn the car off and restart it and the rpm's run smooth until i start driving.

HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
CEL

Is the Check Engine Light on? If so, what codes do you have now? Sounds like your car is running excessivly rich if you've got raw gas smell coming from the exaust. A bad MAF may do that and the other intermittant symtoms you described. Where did you buy your new MAF? Have you tried cleaning the Throttle Body? A dirty T.B can cause bad acceleration and some other wacky problems as well.

C as in 220

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
put in a new coil with the plug boot. had a carbon arc on the plug. no more check engine light and runs a 100 times better!!! still feels a lil funny when cold and when giving it a lil gas but still no cel. where is the throttle body? i want to clean it anyway.

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
Throttle Body Cleaning

The Throttle Body is the Big Chunk of Aluminum the Air Intake attaches to.:D Take off the Rubber Air Tube and using some CRC T.B. Spray (Thank You xvvvz for the tip) spray some on a dust free rag and wipe out the inside of the Air Tubes that attach to the T.B. and the T.B. inlet. Then spray the rest of the inside of the tube that you can't reach clean from the can hose. You may get a rough start when you fire up the car for the first time after reassembly from the residule cleaning fluid.

C as in 220

1 - 15 of 15 Posts