Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes C230 Kompressor
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm just having a wonderful day. I drive in to work this morning and as I'm about 15 feet from my parking spot my muffler decides to fall out from under my car... luckily it happened there and not as I was driving 70mph down the highway. Anyway... it seems the coupling where the two exhaust pieces get bolted together has rusted and corroded. 3 of 4 of the bolts broke in half and there's one barely holding the two pieces together. I had a friend from work help me clamp it together and got some stainless steel pieces made to hold it in place for the time being. It seems stable, although still obnoxiously loud. Sounds like I'm driving a honda civic...

So I guess what I'm wondering is what the best route to take is. I could just weld the seam between the two pieces and call it a day, but I'm afraid that by the time winter comes around the salt would just eat away at it and I'd be left in the same situation I'm in now except with it even more messed up from welding on it. I've also considered just replacing the exhaust, which would be kind of nice anyway but I'm not sure how much I'd really like to spend and I don't have enough free time between work and school to really take on a project like that myself.

So what do you guys think? Weld it up and wing it? Or bite the bullet and take it in to have a new exhaust put on. If I do that, can you recommend a brand that would be nice since I'm sure I could get it cheaper than a muffler place would charge me for it.

I've attached pictures and as I was posting them it looks like it's already been welded.... am I crazy?

Anyway I appreciate any help! Thanks guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor Special Edition
1,173 Posts
You need a new exhaust system. Salted roads have eaten yours up.

There may be a problem with an aftermarket cat throwing a check engine light, but Magnaflow claims their product will not. Look at parts dot com for oem stuff.

I would replace the whole thing, or else you will be in the same boat.

Sometimes an independent muffler shop can bend you a pipe, and fit you a muffler. Check fleabay and the whole Internet for parts. And get an EPC subscription so you can look up part numbers.

The 1999 is different from earlier years.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need a new exhaust system. Salted roads have eaten yours up.

There may be a problem with an aftermarket cat throwing a check engine light, but Magnaflow claims their product will not. Look at parts dot com for oem stuff.

I would replace the whole thing, or else you will be in the same boat.

Sometimes an independent muffler shop can bend you a pipe, and fit you a muffler. Check fleabay and the whole Internet for parts. And get an EPC subscription so you can look up part numbers.

The 1999 is different from earlier years.
I'm admittedly not very car savvy so I'm not exactly sure what all makes up an exhaust system. Am I correct is looking at this parts diagram (attached) that shows I need a new [4] catalytic converter with pipe and [5] rear pipe with muffler? If so parts dot com is saying that's a total of ~$1,500 bucks OEM which I cannot afford. Is there any alternative that could bring the price down a bit?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any second opinions or help with my previous post? Don't mean to be pushy but I'm taking it to a muffler place tomorrow for an opinion there and would like as much outside info as possible before I go so the guy doesn't try to screw me over.

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor Special Edition
1,173 Posts
Muffler shop could weld you a new system.

Check the parts bin for an alternative cat possibility. The only other bolt on cat-back systems are expensive.

Or just repair enough to keep you running. Depending on the condition of the rest of your car, you may want to reduce your repair costs to the minimum.

·
Registered
2010 E350, 2005 Tundra Sold the 1998 C230
322 Posts
How much you do depends on how much longer you think you will keep the car. If you were planning on another 50-100K then I would replace as much as I could with new, you will most likely see your money back. If you were planning on getting something else soon, then patch it up. Keep in mind that an exhaust leak under the car is dangerous, not just noisy. CO can leak into the cabin in the winter when idling and that is not good. If you have a rusty exhaust, you probably have some rust damage in floorboards or in the body itself or possibly some deteriorated rubber seals that exhaust gas can pass through. :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts