Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has experienced the same. I tend to need the use of more force when shutting the driver side door.. are there some sort of adjustments that a regular Joe can make or would this likely be a dealer type job/fix ?

This is on a 1998 SLK230.

Cheers!
MOntreal

·
Registered
08 ml320 cdi,slk 230,01 boxster S,04 carrera911, 99 S320,67 GT350mustang,02G500L,96 s600 w140
1,664 Posts
do u have a previous accident?

·
Registered
Two 1998 SLK230s, 2003 SLK230 SE, 2002 ML320
920 Posts
Check that the door window isn't going up too far and fouling the rubber seal on the roof. The stop on these tends to fall of or get out of adjustment, particularly the older models like yours.
There is a thread on fixing the window adjustment, if that is indeed the problem.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
620 Posts
Check that the door window isn't going up too far and fouling the rubber seal on the roof. The stop on these tends to fall of or get out of adjustment, particularly the older models like yours.
There is a thread on fixing the window adjustment, if that is indeed the problem.

I found this not only was the case with my car, but that this issue actually indicated the failing of the stop at the bottom of the window (inside the door), which came completely unglued.

I ended up having to re-glue the stop on bottom of the glass and re-secure the bolt connected to the one on the door, also. I used an epoxy called, JB Weld for the re-glue. After that, all was fine.

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
oztds, you were right on the money ,.. indeed the seal on the roof making contact with the window is what is causing some extra padding that prevents the door from closing with normal force...

Found the thread you were refering to Here I will read it carefully ...

Cheers!
MOntreal

·
Registered
Two 1998 SLK230s, 2003 SLK230 SE, 2002 ML320
920 Posts
Glad you found it. As you can see, the same happened to me.
We bump in to these things from time to time and share on this forum to try to reduce others' pain, and learn from others ourselves.
Good luck with the repair.

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks OZ,.. yes indeed the joys of ...

I actually stayed up lastnight reading for hours and found tons of threads, posts, tips, pictures,.. about adjusting and/or replacing the door mirrors, the rear quarter panel mirrors and the seal on the rooftop that makes contact with these windows,.. ;)

Cheers!
MOntreal

1 - 10 of 10 Posts