Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I am the original owner of my '98 SLK, but the screen on my radio is now totally black. So when I disconnected my battery and needed to re-enter the code (which I have), I can't read the instructions or know what it's telling me to do. And I can't find my radio's manual.

Can anyone tell me what buttons to push without being able to read the screen?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
This would be head unit dependent. In any case to enter the code, you would have to press station button 1 for the first code digit, as many times as the first code digit indicates, then the second station button for the second code digit and so on.

Once the code has been entered, press the seek (down) button (this would appear to be common for the different radio models).

Are you not able to open the radio and fix the display? That would make it a bit easier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for such a quick response. When you talk about fix the display, do you mean replacing that part? If so, that's removing the head unit, opening up the radio, removing the display, then ordering one from the manufacturer, right?

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
When you talk about fix the display, do you mean replacing that part? If so, that's removing the head unit, opening up the radio, removing the display, then ordering one from the manufacturer, right?
I don't think any of the radio unit parts are available from the dealer as OEM spare parts. Some radio shops may be able to change parts, I was more hoping it could be a simple LCD connector issue or something that one can fix without (radio specific) spare parts.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
When you turn on the radio and there is nothing on the screen then you have a power problem. Check the fuse first. Trying to input a radio code without any kind of a display is pointless.
I didn't even think of this option, I understood the radio was working previously without the display and then just the battery was disconnected. This should not make the radio inoperable but of course a good point to take into account.

I guess some back-lights on the buttons would show if it comes on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The radio does work, it's that the lcd screen has slowly gone black over the years. The last time I needed to put in the code it was only half black and I could make out the words when I looked at the screen at an angle. Now, though, it's completely black and I can't make out any of the words/numbers on the screen.

This morning I tried turning on the ignition, and pushing each button the number of times for each number in the code, then pressing the 'seek' button to the right (only left or right are options). The radio didn't come on. I assumed that the first time you push a button that it puts a 1 on the screen. Another option is that it starts at 1 and when you push each button one time it changes the number to 2. I tried that too, but no luck.

Any other ideas?

thanks.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
The radio does work, it's that the lcd screen has slowly gone black over the years. The last time I needed to put in the code it was only half black and I could make out the words when I looked at the screen at an angle. Now, though, it's completely black and I can't make out any of the words/numbers on the screen.

This morning I tried turning on the ignition, and pushing each button the number of times for each number in the code, then pressing the 'seek' button to the right (only left or right are options). The radio didn't come on. I assumed that the first time you push a button that it puts a 1 on the screen. Another option is that it starts at 1 and when you push each button one time it changes the number to 2. I tried that too, but no luck.

Any other ideas?

thanks.
I don't think it would start from 1 when entering the code. One possibility would be that the code had been already entered three times incorrectly and the radio was in "WAIT state". This one should be reasonable in this respect, 10 minute wait time should allow another three attempts, three times before one would need to wait an hour.

I'd still insist on looking at the LCD connector, the way you say it disappeared, sounds like an LCD membrane connector failing.

Another option would be to find another similar radio and test how exactly the code is entered.

Would you be able to post a picture of the radio, how the buttons look like?

Assuming you have only entered the code twice incorrectly now, I would leave the third attempt waiting until you know the correct procedure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
Diesel Benz
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing