Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

98 SL500 squeaks oddly-auto repair says everything is fine?!

4K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  lynns 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a black 1998 SL500 with 60,000 miles. It is my first convertible coming from a 1999 BMW 540i. I love the car, but noticed it squeaks a little when going over certain bumps. The squeaks are reminiscent of those found on a 1995 C220 I owned many years ago. The C220 was plagued with squeaking problems that were damn near unbearable. The SL500 on the other hand seems to only squeak over smaller bumps one right after the other. It seems if I hit a larger bump going straight at it there is no sound what so ever. It also seems to be more apparent when turning the wheel.

I took it to a local auto repair shop and the guy drove it around for a while and heard nothing. He and two others then pushed down on it from all sides and there was no squeaks what so ever. Apparently they checked everything that they should have but noticed nothing.

To me in definitely sounds like a suspension type of squeak and not a rubbing or anything but who knows. I really don't want to have to listen to these, and more importantly don't want to squeak down the street in my new car! What could this possibly be?!!! :eek:

#2 ·
I have a similar situation. My car only squeaks at low speeds over minor bumps. I have harassed my mechanic about it so often that he now ignores my pleas. I am sure it could be any of a thousand things & not likely to be located. I have not totally lost hope of finding the source, but figure I will probably have to learn to live with it.

#6 · (Edited)
My 1992 500SL had the same problem and took it to a indy and he seem to know right away what it was. The large bolts that hold the suspension arms in the front right and left side and the large rubber bushing between the bolts just had to be tighten. Tighten them and bingo no squealing noises. A year later and still no squealing..... Oh, and just before that I had the car alignment done at the dealership and mention the squealing. They could not find the problem.
Carltwo

#7 ·
Thanks guys. I did the hood latch search, sprayed some lithium grease on the latches & no more squeek. I've been living with this allegedly unsolvable problem for over a year. I am embarassed to admit that I periodically tell my mechanic to lube the locks & hinges but never look to see if fresh grease proves he actually did it. I'll be having a talk with him real soon. Meanwhile, thank you all again.:bowdown:

#8 ·
:thumbsup:

Wow!!! Sprayed a little WD-40 on the hood latches and no more squeaks what so ever! You guys are amazing! I think I will have a very happy home here on the Benzworld forums. :) Coming over from the great BMW owners community Bimmerfest, I was wary with what sort of help I would get but am happy to say you guys rock! woot.

#11 ·
Sprayed a little WD-40 on the hood latches and no more squeaks what so ever!
Lubricating the Hood Latches is supposd to be done as a part of the general maintance by a Service Technician but I have found that they rarely do it and when the squeek comes up it takes them forever to figure it out.

#9 ·
I recently cured a suspension-related 'clunk' in my 2001 R129 by having the dealership mechanics loosen and then re-torque the subframe cross-braces. The noise happened predictably at low speeds over small bumps and was easy to reproduce, so they couldn't claim the ever-popular "No Fault Found".

I had read about the fix on this forum and was rather amused when the M-B service advisor called and said "Well, we did what, um, you suggested and it, um, fixed the problem". What she didn't say was that one of her lead techs had been chasing the noise for the better part of a day by the time they tried what I had told them to do when I dropped off the car. To their credit they didn't even try to charge me for the service visit ... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.