Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have rebuilt the 11 hydraulic cylinders in my SL500. No leaks now. But the main cylinders will not bring the top out of the stored position, If I pull it up manually to the front, all the rest of the system will lock it in place, but the light flashes on the control button. I can't get the light to go off in any position. Suggestions please.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
10,969 Posts
Double check all your electrical connections, specially those on "that" cylinder

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are no electrical connections on the main soft top lift cylinder. I have only rebuilt the hydraulic cylinders as described by Top Hydraulics. I have not done anything else accept reinstall the hydraulic cylinders and try to put the top up. Before I started working on it, it would try to lift the top out of the storage area and then stop as all the fluid would leak out of all of them. Now it won't even more from the stowed position. You can't help it either, it won't let you pull it up while operating the switch.

·
Registered
96 SL600, 07 BMW M5 ,04 545i sold, 2013 C300 Sport (for wifey) 03 CL55 s/Chg sold,91 500SL, sold
112 Posts
I don't think you can operate the top manually while the ignition is on.That tends to stop the top in motion. This is because the microswitches take over and wants to know where the top is always and it then can retract or pull it over the top.

In your case you may have installed something slightly off..Maybe a micro switch out of sync. You may want to double check all connections.
Did you also try disconnecting the battery for a moment to see if that helps? At least an hour.
Another factor is you year model needs a mercedes STAR or comparable diagnostic scanner to just reset the micro switches or the controls module for you. Hope this info helps!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have rebuilt the 11 hydraulic cylinders in my SL500. No leaks now. But the main cylinders will not bring the top out of the stored position, If I pull it up manually to the front, all the rest of the system will lock it in place, but the light flashes on the control button. I can't get the light to go off in any position. Suggestions please.
Thanks for the info. I took the car to a shop to have the codes reset. after resting them, nothing had changed. I will use the information you sent to start on the electrical.

·
Premium Member
97 E-420 (180K miles), 97 SL500, (93K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax(55K)
4,178 Posts
what has worked for me when the top acts up. (Usually from my own fault).
1) I don't recall if ignition was on or off, but I didn't touch the top switch during the process outlined below.
2) release the rear top latches with the tool
3) manually raise and lower the top. This works if the top is down. don't know if you can manually lower than raise the top.
4) turn on the ignition and try to raise the top.

what can happen if the top is moved by hand is that micro switch(s) get activated indication an out of sequence move, which sends the controller into a tizzy not knowing what to do. By manually fully raising the top and then fully lowering the top everything goes through a proper sequence and lets the controller take over.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what has worked for me when the top acts up. (Usually from my own fault).
1) I don't recall if ignition was on or off, but I didn't touch the top switch during the process outlined below.
2) release the rear top latches with the tool
3) manually raise and lower the top. This works if the top is down. don't know if you can manually lower than raise the top.
4) turn on the ignition and try to raise the top.

what can happen if the top is moved by hand is that micro switch(s) get activated indication an out of sequence move, which sends the controller into a tizzy not knowing what to do. By manually fully raising the top and then fully lowering the top everything goes through a proper sequence and lets the controller take over.
Thanks, I'll try that.

·
Registered
10,969 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will look at that next. Is disconnecting the battery a good idea?
Disconnect both power and GND cables from the battery, then short those 2 cables together (don't let them touch the battery). Sometimes that may help to reset the controller.

Or do what e-420 suggested : manually operate the softtop for a COMPLETE CYCLE to try to put things back in proper sequence.

·
Outstanding Contributor
'03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
4,212 Posts
...manually operate the softtop for a COMPLETE CYCLE to try to put things back in proper sequence.
It seems to me this would require the efforts of two people and is unnecessary. I believe the roof controller does not follow the transitions of limit switches unless the roof control switch is pressed and is actively running an open/close cycle.

The roof controller program likely has programmed a sequence of operation comprising a dozen or so steps which can be inferred from the two tables shown here. When the roof control switch is pressed the program looks at only the current state of all of its limit switch inputs and determines if there is an entry point into the sequence which comports with the state of the inputs. If there is none, then the sequence does not execute and the roof control switch flashes.

If there is a possible issue with a switch out of position, then I think it is best to completely close the top manually and then begin an opening cycle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It seems to me this would require the efforts of two people and is unnecessary. I believe the roof controller does not follow the transitions of limit switches unless the roof control switch is pressed and is actively running an open/close cycle.

The roof controller program likely has programmed a sequence of operation comprising a dozen or so steps which can be inferred from the two tables shown here. When the roof control switch is pressed the program looks at only the current state of all of its limit switch inputs and determines if there is an entry point into the sequence which comports with the state of the inputs. If there is none, then the sequence does not execute and the roof control switch flashes.

If there is a possible issue with a switch out of position, then I think it is best to completely close the top manually and then begin an opening cycle.
I have tried the battery disconnect, shorting the connectors and reconnect to no avail. I have the top fully stowed and the light stays on. If I push the switch to put the top up, it will lower the roll bar, lower the windows, open the storage cover and that is as far as it goes.

·
Registered
10,969 Posts
Check the connection to the micro-switch associated to the storage cover.
If the controller does not receive the signal to indicate the cover is 'open', it will not proceed.

·
Registered
10,969 Posts
NO, you cannot just unplug or short it for the softtop to work.

The Controller must detect the cover is "OPEN" before it will raise the soft top and latch it at the windshield, then it must detect the cover is CLOSED to finish the operation of lowering the rear window and latch it in place. The light will go out when everything is done.

Edit : Attached is the sequence of operation of the soft top

Attachments

·
Premium Member
97 E-420 (180K miles), 97 SL500, (93K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax(55K)
4,178 Posts

my experience. a couple of times when working on the top I've stopped it partially through either an open or close cycle then turned off the ignition to do some work. What I've found is that if the top after stopping gets moved such that the next sequence of limit switches is activated without the RST switch activated, the light will flash and usually stop the cycle once I turn on the ignition and try to raise or lower the top.. The cure is to cycle the top manually, which can easily done by one person to the up position ready to engage the window latches then drop it back down to the point where it is stored but the tonnoe (sp?) cover is up. Then turn on the ignition and hit the switch. Viola.... everything is working fine. Using star diags, the diags will show an out of sequence switch, which one can erase, but you still need to get it to a known end position to get it back in sequence.

·
Registered
2000 SL500, 2001 S600, 2004 E320
512 Posts
Did the Top operate properly before you re-build/replaced all 11 cylinders?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts