Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 SL500
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one replaced a blower regulator on there own car? Is this DIY or a shop replacement?

Thanks

·
Registered
1990 300SL
27 Posts
Its not too tough but you will need a couple of hours to get into it. You remove all the plastic that is aound the wiper motor, the wiper motor itself and then the plastic bin below. (It helps to remove the little firewall topper too)Once you're in its easy one plug on the strap fuse box, two wires to the fan motor. Before you haul it out, disconnect the blue wire from the blower motor and ground it. It should spin right up. While your there, lube the shaft of the motor at the bearings, blow it out with air and give it a little blast of contact cleaner on the contacts/brushes. (I think the most common reason for blower regs to fail is increased draw from the blower motor) I forget what the stuff is called but you will need some of that goop they put on computer chips where it contacts the heat sink (very important)When you take the reg off you will see it snuggles with a heat sink of its own. Any computer parts or repair store should have...

Have a look at Jim F's site he is pretty up on this stuff..

Good luck

·
Registered
2009 SL550 Silver Arrow Launch Edition, 2013 Mercedes Benz C300 4Matic
986 Posts
Are you sure it is the regulator? There is an inline fuse just for the regulator. It happened to me and I thought I needed a new regulator, but it was the in line fuse which was bad. It is not in the main fuse box, but in line. Not sure how to replace... tech did it for me.

·
Registered
98 SL500
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to all,
I am pretty sure it is the regulator. Well that is what the dealer told me. As long as i keep the fuse in it works fine. When i turrn the car off, if you listen closely you can hear the blower still going.
I have to pull the fuse at the fuse box so the battery will not die.
Does any one know if AllData has the instructions for this procedure?
Where can i find Jim F?

·
Registered
'03 CL500,& '07 GL450
227 Posts
ALL DATA does have instructions on replacing the blower regulator for my 1999 sl500. I don't know if your 1998 sl500 has the same configuration.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts