Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 S 500 that started running bad all of a sudden so I took it in and they said four coils are bad on one side is that possible or is it a wiring problem to the coil harness? They wanted to charge me 1,700 to change all the coils and a tune up.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
I have a 98 S 500 that started running bad all of a sudden so I took it in and they said four coils are bad on one side is that possible or is it a wiring problem to the coil harness? They wanted to charge me 1,700 to change all the coils and a tune up.
Please tell me you took it to a Ford garage:D LOL. Simple way to start REAL diagnostics on this engine is to take all the coil packs from bank 1 and swap them with bank 2 and see if the engine improves. Which side of the engine is it they said?

For all four to go bad at once is out of this world LOL, but the wiring harness or the Cat on that side of the engine can cause this, also the O2 sensor. Try the coil pack swap first and if no improvement, then loosen the exhaust at the manifold on the bad bank and see if that improves it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please tell me you took it to a Ford garage:D LOL. Simple way to start REAL diagnostics on this engine is to take all the coil packs from bank 1 and swap them with bank 2 and see if the engine improves. Which side of the engine is it they said?

For all four to go bad at once is out of this world LOL, but the wiring harness or the Cat on that side of the engine can cause this, also the O2 sensor. Try the coil pack swap first and if no improvement, then loosen the exhaust at the manifold on the bad bank and see if that improves it.
It was a Mercedes repair shop but I will try the swap of the coils today and see what happens. Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts