Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
i'm attempting to fix a car for a friend of mine, but i can't pin-point what is really going on with it! the transfer case seems to be locking up when the steering wheel is turned one way or another. it feels like the differentials are locking. the tires skip and jerk, along with a very bad crunching noise that sounds and feels like something is trying to give. there are no trouble codes and i really don't know where to start. i'm a mechanic but this seems very strange. are there any common problems that this might sound like? thanks in advance.
bo

·
Registered
ML 270CDI 2002, BMW K1300S, VW POLO 1.9TDI
515 Posts
65230sl said:
hi all,
i'm attempting to fix a car for a friend of mine, but i can't pin-point what is really going on with it! the transfer case seems to be locking up when the steering wheel is turned one way or another. it feels like the differentials are locking. the tires skip and jerk, along with a very bad crunching noise that sounds and feels like something is trying to give. there are no trouble codes and i really don't know where to start. i'm a mechanic but this seems very strange. are there any common problems that this might sound like? thanks in advance.
bo
If it is a bad case (which is what it sounds like) you might be interested in this one....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4644446179&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1

·
Registered
98ML320
1,278 Posts
Is the steering wheel at or close to wheel lock when this happens or even at slight turn angles.

The 98's & 99's will bind at tight turning angles due to 50/50 torque split which is disturbing sounding but not harmful. If it sounds more serious than this then it may be a failure but I can't help you with that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts