Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1998 ML320 (W163)
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
Did a little test on my way to work, put it in second and put my foot about halfway down (where I have the most power) and it got to about 5000 RPM before it cut out, lost power, and then proceeded to shut down cylinders (as per usual).

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
951 Posts
Test the fuel pressure, auto zone or I have even used a tire gauge.

Also might want to try the throttle relearn procedure Witek posted again.

·
Registered
1998 ML320 (W163)
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Test the fuel pressure, auto zone or I have even used a tire gauge.

Also might want to try the throttle relearn procedure Witek posted again.
I'll have to wait until Wednesday to loan one. Are there any tests that I can do for the MAF sensor?

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
951 Posts
Lee take a look here i did not watch full video It is freaking 40 min plus , i did not kjnow there was one out there at all on the subject.

Did you clean it when you had everything apart?

On most there is a voltage ohm and test.

·
Registered
1998 ML320 (W163)
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Lee take a look here i did not watch full video It is freaking 40 min plus , i did not kjnow there was one out there at all on the subject.

I'll watch the video when I get the opportunity, I cleaned the MAF sensor sometime this summer, probably June or July. It didn't make much of a difference even after I cleaned it though. I have tried removing the front O2 sensors from both banks before and seeing if there was any improvement, unfortunately there wasn't. I'm going to try hitting the cats with a mallet whenever I get home tonight and listen for a rattle. Right now it's drivable and that's the important part, it just doesn't run great. I have noticed if I hold the throttle still there is noticeable RPM fluctuation(~200-400 RPM)

·
Registered
1998 ML320 (W163)
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #86

I got a chance to watch the video last night, it seems I have every symptom the 2000 ML320 they had was having. The best test to do according to the video was to drive a little bit with the MAF sensor, then stop and unplug it and try to keep going. If you notice better performance, or an increase in richness for the upstream O2 sensors then the MAF sensor is the problem. So I'm going to try that on my way home from work tonight and see what happens.

I know I need to get the Bosch MAF sensor and not a cheap one but does anyone have any suggestions on where to get a genuine Bosch sensor that doesn't cost $120+?

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
951 Posts
lee you are probably going to pay 130-140 for it. there are sellers on amazon that claim to have a bosch
one has it for 106 but 16 percent of the reviews say it is defective some think counterfeit
I would call bosch and ask if they know this seller, and proceed very cautiously.

Looks very official but beware.

I buy a lot of my parts from Advance auto, I order on line, prepay with store pick up, if in stock
they have it pulled and waiting for me when i get there. Usually a 20 or 25% off pops up online. Right now advance, is 135.00 order online with free standard shipping including 20% off. I have gotten as high as 30% off.

·
Registered
1998 ML320 (W163)
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
lee you are probably going to pay 130-140 for it. there are sellers on amazon that claim to have a bosch
one has it for 106 but 16 percent of the reviews say it is defective some think counterfeit
I would call bosch and ask if they know this seller, and proceed very cautiously.

Looks very official but beware.

I buy a lot of my parts from Advance auto, I order on line, prepay with store pick up, if in stock
they have it pulled and waiting for me when i get there. Usually a 20 or 25% off pops up online. Right now advance, is 135.00 order online with free standard shipping including 20% off. I have gotten as high as 30% off.
That's usually where I buy my parts, I found one on eBay for about $60 because it's "an open box" so I'm going to see what they say and go from there, if anything I'll get it from either Advance or Rockauto

·
Registered
1998 ML320 (W163)
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
She's finally, actually, fixed. Turns out the MAF sensor was bad. I never had a single check engine light for it though. My suggestion to anyone is if you're having the same symptoms I had (awful cold start, stalling, random/multiple cylinder misfire, no power, lots of hesitation, close to 35% LTFT on Bank 1 and Bank 2, amongst other things) unless you can HEAR a hissing sound while the engine is running, go ahead and change the MAF. You can do a visual check of it by removing it from the intake tube and look at the wires inside of the sensor, they should be shiny, if they look corroded or varnished, you should change it. Personally I had no luck with just unplugging he sensor and attempting to drive, however it's an easy test, if you have an improvement after it's unplugged, time to replace. The video that Wallyo suggested was also an excellent source.

·
Registered
1999 ML 320
9 Posts
Interesting that was the first thing my dealer did on mine 14 months ago and it did not improve because my problem was an ancient fuel filter. Changing the MAF sensor generated $1100 for them. Their further suggestions were going to cost in the 5 figures so I am grateful to them for starting me down the road to fixing it myself. Has been stimulating, fun and a challenge.

·
Registered
1998 ML320 (W163)
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Interesting that was the first thing my dealer did on mine 14 months ago and it did not improve because my problem was an ancient fuel filter. Changing the MAF sensor generated $1100 for them. Their further suggestions were going to cost in the 5 figures so I am grateful to them for starting me down the road to fixing it myself. Has been stimulating, fun and a challenge.
Fortunately I was able to rule things out considering everything I did at the start of this year. Not willing to say how much but it was more than the car is worth so now I basically have to keep it forever 😂. But a new fuel filter was installed February of this year.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts