Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1998 ML320 (W163)
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
SAI pump should not run until engine starts and runs for few seconds.
That's odd, because I could hear it running after the probably 5th starting attempt.

Speaking of battery. What is voltage with key off, position 2, position 3?
I'm not sure what the voltage is and I have no way of really checking, I am going to connect the battery to a battery charger and see if that has any effect at all.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
594 Posts
  • Hold it gents. I thought we are looking at "no starter action" condition.
    You are correct but my thought was the first thing that happens when key goes to position 1or is it 2 is the pump primes. Just was wondering if that was happening.
If not was thinking the issue is battery, battery cable or some connection.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
594 Posts
That's odd, because I could hear it running after the probably 5th starting attempt.

I'm not sure what the voltage is and I have no way of really checking, I am going to connect the battery to a battery charger and see if that has any effect at all.
Get a cheap meter even one from harbor freight.

·
Registered
1998 ML320 (W163)
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have wonderful news, it cranks and starts now. Had a bad connection in the starter wire from the fuse box to the starter itself (purple wire). But it’s running awful, would that be caused by the bad Coolant Temperature Sensor? I’m replacing it tomorrow (soonest I could get one) but I’d like to know if I may need something else.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
594 Posts
That’s great to hear!

Witek would know more but engine temp is usually taken into account as part of air fuel mixture. So could be the sensor, I start there and double check all injectors are plugged in properly.

Have you read for any codes.

·
Registered
1998 ML320 (W163)
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
That’s great to hear!

Witek would know more but engine temp is usually taken into account as part of air fuel mixture. So could be the sensor, I start there and double check all injectors are plugged in properly.

Have you read for any codes.
Not yet, going to clear all codes and then install sensor when I get home tonight and see how it runs.

·
Registered
1998 ML320 (W163)
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Put the new sensor in, helps some but I do have a vacuum leak. Not only is it still running awful, I can hear hissing sounds, and when pumping the brakes while the engine was running it actually caused it to stall. I know the vacuum hose on the front of the engine that splits into the two diaphragms and into a sensor needs to be replaced, and also the plug for a vacuum port on the back of the intake, nothing connects to this one. But I don’t know where to source these lines, any suggestions?

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
6,849 Posts
I bought a used intake from eBay because it had good, properly spraying, fuel injectors in it and I was hoping that changing those would help to fix the major lean condition I was experiencing (~35% LTFT on both banks)
Where is LTFT now?

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
6,849 Posts
Put the new sensor in, helps some but I do have a vacuum leak. Not only is it still running awful, I can hear hissing sounds, and when pumping the brakes while the engine was running it actually caused it to stall. I know the vacuum hose on the front of the engine that splits into the two diaphragms and into a sensor needs to be replaced, and also the plug for a vacuum port on the back of the intake, nothing connects to this one. But I don’t know where to source these lines, any suggestions?
Browse trough this. All pluming around intake manifold, egr and air injection.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
594 Posts
Unless it is a pre molded line, most vacuum hose is sold by the foot using inside diameter as the spec at any auto part store. Same for fittings: y, t reducer etc they are generic.

·
Registered
1998 ML320 (W163)
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Browse trough this. All pluming around intake manifold, egr and air injection.

I did find the vacuum line itself, however I'm still having trouble finding the cap for the back of the intake manifold. That's the main source of my vacuum leak right now, used some duct tape as a very temporary solution to the other vacuum line being broken.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
594 Posts
In the diagram that Witek posted which diagram and what is the part number for the plug.

Most vacuum plugs are generic as well. What happens when you close the port with your finger. For interm you can plug most ports with a short lenght of hose and a small round head machine screw that fits tight in the hose.

I have like 4 99 and one 98 five and ten minutes from my house if it is a special molded plug.

What happened to the plug from your old manifold?

I take back you did say cap not plug still need part info

·
Registered
1998 ML320 (W163)
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
In the diagram that Witek posted which diagram and what is the part number for the plug.

Most vacuum plugs are generic as well. What happens when you close the port with your finger. For interm you can plug most ports with a short lenght of hose and a small round head machine screw that fits tight in the hose.

I have like 4 99 and one 98 five and ten minutes from my house if it is a special molded plug.

What happened to the plug from your old manifold?

I take back you did say cap not plug still need part info
I could not find a part number or the part itself. The old one disintegrated when I went to take it off.

It is the plug for the vacuum port around the circled area

Attachments

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
6,849 Posts
I could not find a part number or the part itself. The old one disintegrated when I went to take it off.

It is the plug for the vacuum port around the circled area
Part number for cap is 000 987 11 45. I could not find it in diagrams.

·
Registered
1998 ML320 (W163)
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I typed a post earlier but the site was down when I went to post it. I'm going to buy the part, in the meantime, the vacuum line that is under the front edge of the intake came undone when I pulled on it (could've been a contributor to the problem) does anyone know of a way to reconnect it without taking the intake out? The last thing I want to do is take out what hasn't even been in for a week. I have checked all of the vacuum hoses that have arrows going to them, the only one that has a problem is the port that needs the plug which I am ordering.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts