Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1998 ML320 (W163)
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where the HVAC system gets the outside air from? Is there any way to clean it? Yes, I do know about the cabin air filter, and have changed it. But I feel like I'm not getting a lot of air, even on high, for all the noise the blower motor makes, almost as if it's being choked off a bit.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,741 Posts
Take blower out and inspect it. May be choked. With flashlight inspect intake cowl below windshield.

IMG_20180413_140521E01.jpg

·
Registered
1998 ML320 (W163)
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will definitely try this tomorrow, every time I change my cabin air filter a bunch of leaves fall out, this may be part of it.

·
Registered
1998 ML320 (W163)
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the blower motor out, looked pretty clean to me, 1 or 2 leaves but nothing major. Tried to look into the front cowling but couldn't really see much, any way to easily remove it for a better look? It's not so much that there's not a lot of air from the vents, it just seems like there could/should be more.

·
Registered
2003 C320 coupe, 2000 ML320
892 Posts
1 or 2 leaves could be the difference between "there could/should be more" and what you've got now.. Also,.. have you checked if your duct flaps are working properly ? How old is the motor.. maybe it could use some bearings and brushes?..

·
Registered
1998 ML320 (W163)
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've removed the leaves, it didn't really change the air pressure. I have not checked the duct flaps but they seem to be working properly, I can only feel air through the dash vents like it is set. The motor is the original motor from 98, I spun it by hand and it felt smooth with no grinding noises or anything indicating a bad bearing.

·
Registered
2003 C320 coupe, 2000 ML320
892 Posts
A 22 year old motor.. Maybe see if you can get the motor apart for a new set of brushes..

·
Registered
1998 ML320 (W163)
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may try that. I mean, I can definitely feel the air coming out, problem is, since I didn't own the car new, I don't know what the original feel of the high speed was. I just know, if given the opportunity, I'd definitely want to clean out the fresh air intake. So, as to my original question, is there any easy way to do this?

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,741 Posts
Does air volume change when you press recirculation button? If it does not there is no issue with fresh air intake.

·
Registered
1998 ML320 (W163)
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not that I know of, I know it's a lot louder when it's recirculating but I think that's normal. Like I said in my last post, I haven't owned the car since new, so it's hard to just know when things aren't working properly unless you experience them getting worse.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,741 Posts
It gets louder because air is being drawn from just behind glove box. What filter are you using? Some Bosch filters are too short to seal. Take filter out and examine surface of evaporator. Before cooling season I put large trash bag on the floor, take filter our and wash evaporator with dedicated pump-up weed sprayer filled with glass cleaner.

·
Registered
1998 ML320 (W163)
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did look at the evaporator the other day when checking the filter, it looked clean to me. But I will definitely consider spraying it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts