Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
After getting a crank sensor and fuel filter replaced not by MB I found out about the recall? on the harmonic balancer..I call the local MB dealer and they tell me I have to have the recall letter, then they will inspect it and if its bad replace it...First off Iam the 3rd owner and have yet to receive a letter...My next question is are they still obligated to check it out since it is a safety hazard?without having the recall letter? 3rd From what Iam reading in the searches its only a matter of time before it does go( defective part) so can I demand they change it even though Iam not under warranty?The vehicle has 83k on it. I appreciate all thoughts on how to get this matter resolved....Kevin

·
Registered
98 ML 320
40 Posts
Well, you wont get a letter if Mercedes doesnt have your address. They might send it out to the previous owners instead of you. Second you dont need a letter. I didnt have one and they checked mine. I had to call Mercedes direct and they told me to go to my local dealer and that was it. Third, its not a recall its a service campaign.

·
Registered
98 ML 320
40 Posts
Well im not say YOU DO or YOU DONT but, im just saying that i DID NOT NEED ONE and they took my ML in.

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes ML320
44 Posts
I had mines done Tuesday. I'm the second owner of the car and never got a letter. I just called my local MB dealer and scheduled an appointment without a letter....without problems. I guess depending on your dealer, you don't have to have a letter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had an A service done for my '00 ML a few weeks ago. I asked about the harmonic balancer when I made the appointment. The service advisor punched the VIN into her computer, found something, and added it to the work order.

·
Registered
W126C AMG 6.0
846 Posts
A simple VIN# check will tell the dealer if your vehicle is on the campaign. The needing the letter thing is total crap. The letter process is designed to spread out the work load for this campaign, as it is being sent in waves. I guess any dealership has the right to refuse service based on this but, unless they are buried in these orders, it is poor customer service in my opinion. My dealership gladly ran my VIN, found out it was involved and said to bring it down. Finished the replacement, and had it washed and ready to go in 4 hours.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts