Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The side mirror adjustment switch on my center console is coming apart. I did not find anything in a search on replacing this. Any trick or things I should know?

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,235 Posts
It’s part of the entire window switch assembly. While it might be possible to fix the mirror control independently, you could just replace the entire switch assembly yourself for under $100 (I believe the past is about $80 from the dealer, maybe cheaper if you have a good dealer that will negotiate). Here are instructions you can use to remove the assembly, and if you want, try to disassemble and DIY repair:

http://rodneygrill.com/mclass/mlswitch/index.html

- RODNEY

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rudeney - 5/10/2005 8:50 AM

It’s part of the entire window switch assembly. While it might be possible to fix the mirror control independently, you could just replace the entire switch assembly yourself for under $100 (I believe the past is about $80 from the dealer, maybe cheaper if you have a good dealer that will negotiate). Here are instructions you can use to remove the assembly, and if you want, try to disassemble and DIY repair:

http://rodneygrill.com/mclass/mlswitch/index.html

- RODNEY
Thanks, Rudeney. The switch assembly was $89.70. Where I've been symied is getting the wood panel out. I'll give your instructions a shot--I was afraid to put pressure on the panel for fear of breaking it.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
'98 mirror adjustment switch replacement done

I got it done, but had to use a screwdriver to carefully pry up the side of the wood panel until the clip released--no amount of force from the bottom worked. Thanks for the instructions, rudeney.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
RE: '98 mirror adjustment switch replacement done

Funny how this came up, I just had to replace my switches today. They were getting kinda tough to push and the auto down feature was making the buttons stick... oh well.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
6 Posts
Rodney
I noticed in your instructions that your clips broke and that you had to use screws. Do you remember what size screws you used. If so, would you please post the information.

TIA
Nesha

·
Registered
1999 ML320
6 Posts
Update
Well, I finished, but the passenger side switch will not go up. Anyone have this problem? I looked at the switch contacts and I only have two, not three. Mine look fine.

The only reason I even took it apart was because my boy stepped on the switches and broke the clips. So I took it out and put in screws I found. Now my right side window won't go back up and I need to go on a trip tomorrow. Not happy about this

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1999 ML320
6 Posts
I went to the dealer before they closed today, who knew they stayed open til 6:00PM. Anyway, I tried a new switch assembly and it worked so I just switched it out right at the dealer. You should have seen their faces when I pulled up and my car was ripped apart where the assembly is. I didn't even have my shift knob on the shifter. Anyway it was pretty funny when the guy said "You just saved yourself $110" after I finished installing the new switch assembly.

Thank you so much Rodney. You were a big help!

Nesha

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,235 Posts
trvlnut - 11/25/2005 4:09 PM

Rodney
I noticed in your instructions that your clips broke and that you had to use screws. Do you remember what size screws you used. If so, would you please post the information.
I don’t remember the size, but they were just some spare self-tapping sheet metal or wood screws I had in my “junk bin� in the garage. They were “just right�!

·
Registered
ML320 1998
1 Posts
Thanks for the switch replacement instructions, U saved me a two hour trip to the dealer with an open driver side window in a rural MN winter.

I used a 2" putty knife to pry up the wood panel as I just couldn't exert enough push with my hand. Worked much better than my attempts with a screwdriver.

Ordered the switch via the internet saving me time also.

Have a Merry Christmas

-- Wayne --

1 - 10 of 10 Posts