Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 S500 Sport
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will 1998 E430 stock rims fit a 2000 S430 the right way are the offset even right any info would be great the S430 20 in wheels were stolen and i do not have the stock ones to put back on i have my stock E430 rims.Thank you, Frank

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear about the theft.

The good news: The E wheels will match up fine re: bolt pattern and offset. That's only 1/3 of the story, though.

At some point MBZ changed from 12M lug bolts to 14M lug bolts. This would seemingly not be an issue except that when they did so, they ALSO changed the curvature design of the ball seat.

Thus, the E-wheels will be based on the 12M ball seat because in 98 they were 12M.

However, I don't know when MBZ changed the S-class to the 14M ball seat, so if your S430 uses 12M bolts you'll be okay as far as matching the ball seat properly.

BUT: If your S430 uses 14M bolts, you will need custom bolts or will have to find the right length 12M bolts and custom-grind them to match the different curvature 14M ball seats in the wheels. (Why MBZ changed the arc of the ball seat when they went from 12M to 14M lug bolts is beyond me...)

The rest of the news: you may need different length bolts due to the wheel design. If both cars use 12M bolts, then the ball seats will match up and you can drop one of your bolts through the E wheel and see how far it protrudes. It should not come through very far, perhaps less than an inch (my car it's about 3/4 of an inch), but to be sure you should do some measurements on your hubs/axles to see how far in the bolt can safely protrude without hitting anything. Obviously you want it to go through all of the threads on the hub/axle and protrude thereafter as little as possible.

Good luck!
Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts