Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1998 E-320 Wagon
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Under certain conditions, noise similar to worn-out brake pads scraping soon-to-be- worn-out rotors emanates from where the transmission meets the drive shaft. It started quite suddenly, has been intermittent, and occurs (a) in park and neutral, and (b) when driving in 1st and 2nd; above that, all is smooth and silent. The car has 114K miles on it, no codes are displayed, no fluid leaks, though without a dipstick I haven't checked the level. My shop can't get to me until Monday (he's worth the wait) but since I spend every waking minute thinking about it, I thought I would see if you guys could help me figure it out. Searching this forum for 'transmissions', I found quite a few threads describing similar problems, but no solutions, other than 'replace the tranny'. Maybe, but not yet. And no, it isn't the catalytic converter rattling, or the motor mounts, or a cracked flex-disk. I know many of you, unlike myself, actually understand the meta-mechanical workings of ATs, so...what do you think? Thanks in advance for any well-reasoned explanations (except for the aforementioned three).

TS

1 - 1 of 1 Posts